Old 07-01-2006, 11:25 PM   #1
Nocturna
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Nocturna
Circular vs Flat
Hey everyone...

I want to knit a hat for a friend, and today we went shopping for the yarn and needles. The pattern (http://www.littleturtleknits.com/pithyhat.htm *the green one on the left*) calls for different sizes of 16" needles. I dont know if these are rare or hard to find, but we went to 2 different stores that carry a lot of different knitting stuff and we couldn't find the necessary sizes at ALL.

So my question is... Can I knit the same pattern, but lying flat? I would think the only difference would be that doing it flat would require seaming, but thats fine... but just to make sure, does anyone know if thats possible? To take a pattern that calls for circulars and just do it flat? Thanks for any help!!

"Sadness is eaiser because its surrender. I say make time to dance alone with one hand waving free." -Elizabethtown
Nocturna is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-01-2006, 11:40 PM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
hrmm....i am surprised you couldn't find any of them i guess......but as i think about it, it seems the hobby lobby only has the super long needles too i guess. you probably could but you would have to add stitches for the seam plus you would have to figure out the shaping in flat form so that when it is seamed up the look is right. trying to figure out how to do that makes my brain hurt. there are lots of places online you would be able to find those needles if you wanted to wait a bit for them.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:47 PM   #3
AidanM
Turning the Heel

I think it would work, I don't see why not. Your decreases would be spaced the same for the shaping, I would think.

Just remember that knitting is one of the few things where if you screw it up, you can take the needles out and undo it and start over.

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:54 PM   #4
Nocturna
Ribbing the Cuff

Haha true. Thanks!

"Sadness is eaiser because its surrender. I say make time to dance alone with one hand waving free." -Elizabethtown
Old 07-02-2006, 12:05 AM   #5
Nocturna
Ribbing the Cuff

Are there any good, trustworthy stores online that you would recommend for these specific sizes? (I dont need anything expensive... just enough to get the job done)

Old 07-02-2006, 12:12 AM   #6
AidanM
Turning the Heel

Oh lord, there must be at least a hundred. Try the stores that appear in the ads at the top of the forums, and if that doesn't work then knitty.com has a list of links somewhere that you can check out.

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:03 PM   #7
brownishcoat
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to brownishcoat Send a message via Yahoo to brownishcoat Send a message via Skype™ to brownishcoat
You can use 2 circulars of any length (same needle size) to knit the hat in the round, or the Magic Loop method could be used. Amy has videos for both methods on this site.

You'd put half the hat stitches on each circular needle, and the Magic Loop video is pretty clear about splitting the stitches.

This way you wouldn't need to worry about seaming.

->"You say tomato, I say pimp." --Michael Westen, Burn Notice<-
brownishcoat is offline   Reply With Quote