Old 07-04-2006, 06:29 PM   #1
Treeling
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Treeling Send a message via MSN to Treeling Send a message via Yahoo to Treeling
Need Good Pattern for MALE Cancer patient
I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on knitted items which would be comforting for a male cancer patient (I don't think he needs a fun-fur chemo cap).

My academic advisor's partner has just been sent home from UCLA's cancer treatment center with the news that they can't do more for his brain cancer and it's time for him to stop treatment and enjoy however many days he has left. He's been told he might have 6 months or so, from what I understand. Since they're discontinuing treatment, I don't think iv wristlets or chemo caps are the ticket. In fact, I'd like to do something that doesn't scream "I'm sick!"...

I'm just looking for a pattern for -something- nice that's hand-knit (or crocheted), and which can be made up quickly (I'm not a super-fast knitter) and obviously time is of the essence. I'd lean towards an afghan, but they are so big and I'm not sure I have the time required to get it done. Something small but luxurious might be good...

The recipient is a man in his late fifties, a professor. Since his cancer is in the brain, I think he'll probably be experiencing some paralysis, etc, as the tumors grow.

Any thoughts? Has anybody been ill or helped someone ill and thought "thank heavens someone knit me that fill-in-the-blank, it was so nice to have..." ?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-04-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
Curlykat
1st Leg of the Journey

No ideas about a knitted item, but just wanted to say that I am saying a prayer for you and your academic advisor's family. My dad died from brain cancer in 1984 and I've heard that things are much better for brain cancer patients these days. The doctors had only given him 6 months as well, but he lived for another 1.5 years, so one never knows.
Curlykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
Treeling
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Treeling Send a message via MSN to Treeling Send a message via Yahoo to Treeling
Thanks very much, CurlyKat. I think your prayer for me might be working-- I just realized that the perfect thing to knit might be a "Knitting into the Mystery" Prayer Shawl!

Has anyone made one of these?
Old 07-04-2006, 07:36 PM   #4
AidanM
Turning the Heel

I think that whatever it is should be made of a splurge yarn. The softest, nicest thing you can afford a skein or two of. Just the best, you know? I think that a nice beanie or scarf would be perfect.

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:53 PM   #5
Treeling
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm thinking a prayer shawl in KP's Suri Alpaca... not really a big financial splurge, but from what I understand, it *feels* like a splurge.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:21 PM   #6
AidanM
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Treeling
I'm thinking a prayer shawl in KP's Suri Alpaca... not really a big financial splurge, but from what I understand, it *feels* like a splurge.
That sounds great!

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:02 AM   #7
Treeling
Ribbing the Cuff

Yeah, I've ordered enough Suri Dream in "woodlands" (a reddish-brown) to knit a prayer shawl. I think I will make it a little shorter and wider so it can double as a lap robe or throw... (probably best not to call a knit item for a man a "shawl")
Old 07-05-2006, 12:21 PM   #8
Jeremy
Mod Squad

I think a prayer shawl would be terrific. Its a visible reminder of how much you care and very comforting to wear. PS. I wear a shawl every day when I pray. Its called a tallit. Best wishes for a complete healing to your friend.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:29 PM   #9
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
I also think a prayer shawl is an excellent idea, and Jeremy, when I was doing my searching months ago, the "male" ones look very similar to a tallit. i think that's perfect as it can also double as a "lap robe" as he might be spending lots of time in bed and/or wheelchair. i also agree a beanie of some kind would be a nice idea, something light since we're in the warmer months, maybe cotton... i have some crochet patterns for open-work ones using FP and BP dc that are really nice.

whatever it is you decide, it's a beautiful act of kindness that i am sure will be very well received. sending prayers.

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #10
earthchick
Turning the Heel

I made a prayer shawl in KP Suri Dream last fall, and it was a great experience for both me and the recipient. (I made it for my SIL in recognition of the 5th anniversary of her husband's death [from brain cancer actually], which was also her birthday). I was really moved by how moved she was to receive it.

The Suri Dream makes a really beautiful shawl - she absolutely loved it. And it was quite yummy to the touch. I didn't like working with it as much as I would've wanted, but I think if I had used sharper needles that would've made a difference (I used Addi Turbos). The pattern in Knitting into the Mystery is a great one - easy but pretty, and very rhythmic, so it helps the knitter really be able to focus prayers and good thoughts towards the recipient.

I think it's so great that you're doing this. Post pics when you're done!

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
earthchick is offline   Reply With Quote