Old 07-05-2006, 12:41 AM   #1
feministmama
Instepping Out

Quilting and Knitting??
Anyone ever made a quilt with knitting on one side and quilting on the other? Ya know, sewn together? Would this work?
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-05-2006, 10:08 AM   #2
Celine
Turning the Heel

Thats a thought
Well my first love is quilting and my second is knitting. But I have to admit I have not ever considered putting the two "together". That's a thought tho. I'll have to watch this post and see what ideas others come up with.

I am in the process of setting up a quilting studio. We are putting the Toile wallpaper up today and we are almost done. I did consider knitting pretty light weight window treatments. But havent' gotten beyond just the "thought" of it.

I saw in the Mason Dixon book they show a knit lace curtain. Very easy ...just a few holes here and there. I willl need to do some more "research".
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:43 AM   #3
horve1
Turning the Heel

I guess this isn't really an answer because it's not a quilt, but I backed my "Crazy Quilt" knitted blanket with fleece for extra warmth and that works. I think if I quilted, I would consider a combination project.
Recent FOs: Earrings; Celtic Cap & Scarf-y; Swatches for TWP; 6 EarFlap Hats; Hand-painted-yarn Sun Spot Stole that decided it wanted to be a Vintage Velvet Scarf; DD's Fuzzy Socks; Shadow Pillow; Aran Pillow; DS's Thuja Socks; Tree of Life Square; Sunny-Flower Square; Ornament; Extreme Knitting 2-in-1 Socks; Single-Needle Scarf Trio; DS's Cardigan; Qiviut Lace Scarf; DD's Daria Belt; DD's Fun Scarf; Mini-Purse from first yarn I spun; BECKA'S LEAVES OF WHIMSY SOCKS W/SWAP YARN FROM BECKA!!!; Knit Bead Bracelet & Earrings; Happy Socks; "Really Cool Socks"; Eagle's Flight Socks; Cabled Fingerless Mitts; Mistake-Rib Socks; Bamboo Mini-Bag; Felted Vase; DD's Basket; Felted Clogs; DS's Sweater; DD's Lacy Stole; Oversize Booga; Crazy Quilt; DS's Backpack.

On needles: A Special Secret Present; Never-Ending Afghan (remainders/reminders from all my projects).
horve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
I don't see any reason why you couldn't. The Norwegians have been sewing knit stuff for generations. I would probably do a bias fabric binding on the edge, that way the edge of the knit side is encased by the cotton fabric. But how would you decide which side of the quilt to display? :thinking:
Old 07-05-2006, 11:37 AM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I don't quilt, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You would probably just need to sew or tie areas on the knit side to the quilt side so it doesn't get all slippy or wonky.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:23 PM   #6
feministmama
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Sara
But how would you decide which side of the quilt to display? :thinking:

OOooh I didn't think of that What I *was* thinking was making a blanket out of knit squares and covering up all the mess of the wrong sides by some kind of quilted thing sew on. So yeah maybe just some flannelsomething or other to cover up the wrong side would be easier. I'm not any kind of sewer at all thought. I have no idea how I would sew fabric to something knit (I've never lined a purse :rollseyes: ) and I have no idea of how to even make a quilted fabric (What is :sewing on the bias" ) and I may have to take a class or something. Actually my mother knows how to make quilts I guess I should ask her. :thinking:
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:18 PM   #7
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
There is a way to cut cotton fabric into strips so that it is on the diagonal (bias), this makes it stretchier. So if you're going to bind something, you don't want to use strips that you cut length- or cross-wise. If you google "bind a quilt" you should come up with a better explanation. Or something really wierd and kinky.

If you don't know how to sew at all, I think this is a pretty big bite to chew. And if you don't have a machine, handsewing would be a monstrous task. But maybe your mom would sew it for you?
Old 07-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #8
isaiah507
Ribbing the Cuff

I was thinking about this last night because I also quilt in addition to knit.

What about a *multi-media* quilt top with a mixture of quilted blocks and knitted blocks? With the right colors/shapes/stitches, it could be an absolute masterpiece!! :thinking: :thinking:

**wishing for a "craft vacume" i can climb in and stay for weeks at a time and when I come out, life will return to the exact second that I climbed in**

awesome, huh??

:rofling: :rofling:
isaiah507 is offline   Reply With Quote