Old 07-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
OT- A little venting about a kitty.
Okay, so on Monday, we were all getting ready to sit down and eat supper and then go to the fireworks later that night. Everything was going fine, until..

Our one cat named Ashes walks in and lays down on the floor. My brother looked over and noticed blood coming out of her nose and mouth. She was meowing, and all that. My dad put a towel in the bottom of our pet carrier and took a look at her. It actually looked like she got hit by a car.

My mother called the local vet(this was about 7PM), and asked if he would come in to take a look at her. He came in, looked at her and said that she needed to have surgery done because her jaw was broken in half and most of her teeth on the left side were missing. We then left and watched the fireworks, and slept okay that night knowing that she was in good hands.

Tuesday the vet called and said that the surgery went okay and that she was doing fine. Then he said, "She wasn't hit by a car, she was shot."

That just went right through me when my mom told me. I was so(and still am) angered that she was SHOT! Even though we don't know who did it, it's just that this poor kitty has to be put through a lot because of it. I already discussed it with my parents that I will be taking care of her most of the time. She's going to be so spoiled

I'm just glad that she is going to be okay, and not dead along the road somewhere.
Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #2
JLC
Instepping Out

She was shot??? Who would shoot a cat? That's awful. I'm glad she'll be ok, though. Poor kitty. :crying:
JLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
mornnen
1st Leg of the Journey

How horrible! I too, am glad she's going to be okay. I think I need to go give both of my cats some extra love.

Julie

Knitting takes balls!... of yarn...
mornnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:15 PM   #4
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
oh, jenelle, that is just horrible. :( I'm in Florida and it seems like every other week another horrid cruelty to pets story comes up in the news. Not very long ago, there was someone going around and shooting cats with a bow and arrow. I remember one of them, I think they named her "Lucky" had an arrow clear through her abdomen and survived and was later adopted by a loving family. The level of cruelty and disregard for living things that humans are capable of is an abomination.

Rant over. I had a cat, Elijah, several years ago who I rescued from a parking lot at work. He was full grown, so I was not able to "domesticate" him into a house cat, although he mastered getting big and fat quite quickly. One night I was paged at work by my room-mate to find out that Elijah had come in the house and started seizing. By the time I got home, it was entirely too late, he had passed in a matter of minutes. Necropsy revealed he was poisoned, and not by a plant.

While I was still living there, I set up an invisible fence for my other cat along the perimeter of our place, which was of decent size, to keep her safe. It worked very well, yet she was still able to "sow her wild oats" a bit and get outdoors. Not sure what your living arrangement is like, but that could be something to consider to keep your babies within a safe distance. It's a shame we even have to worry about such things. :(

I'm so glad to hear she is going to be okay and she has you to nurse her back to health.

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
That is awful and you have every right to be angered! I'm so glad she's going to be okay! Keep us updated!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:23 PM   #6
brownishcoat
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to brownishcoat Send a message via Yahoo to brownishcoat Send a message via Skype™ to brownishcoat
Poor kitty! :(

Be extra careful, Jenelle. I certainly hope that it was an accident, but if it wasn't, a person who would willingly harm an animal in such a way is potentially working their way up to hurting people.

Many hugs for you and Ashes!

->"You say tomato, I say pimp." --Michael Westen, Burn Notice<-
brownishcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:32 PM   #7
iza
Turning the Heel

Oh no! How horrible! I hate guns. Who would do such a thing??? Neighbours? I would be SOOO angry... I also think whoever did this could be dangerous...

Your cat is really lucky to be alive! Good thing she will be ok!
iza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #8
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

Oh Jenelle! How sad - I do hope Ashes ends up making a full recovery!
sara_jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:41 PM   #9
miccisue
Turning the Heel

You don't know how much I needed to hear a story by someone who loves their pets!

Last night, we were sitting in our backyard getting ready to do our little home version of fireworks, when a beautiful young dog comes barrelling into our yard. Fortunately, we have a dog of our own, so he slowed down to sniff the ground. I got him to come to me, and we tied him up. Pretty soon, fireworks started going off, and he was in quite a state. We kept him pretty calm, but didn't know what we were going to do with him. Hubby called the police and left a description in case anyone called them looking for him, we put him in a spare crate....and still have him today. I've called the animal shelter, both vets, radio stations....and nothing.

I am so hoping that someone will get off their duff and call one of these places looking for their pet. He's a real sweetie - and I hate to take him to the shelter as ours isn't a "no kill" facility. I couldn't bear the thought of him being put down simply because his owners were jerks. He's wearing a collar, but no tags to identify him. It just makes me want to cry....the poor scared baby, and it doesn't appear anyone is looking for him. :crying:
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:45 PM   #10
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by miccisue
You don't know how much I needed to hear a story by someone who loves their pets!

Last night, we were sitting in our backyard getting ready to do our little home version of fireworks, when a beautiful young dog comes barrelling into our yard. Fortunately, we have a dog of our own, so he slowed down to sniff the ground. I got him to come to me, and we tied him up. Pretty soon, fireworks started going off, and he was in quite a state. We kept him pretty calm, but didn't know what we were going to do with him. Hubby called the police and left a description in case anyone called them looking for him, we put him in a spare crate....and still have him today. I've called the animal shelter, both vets, radio stations....and nothing.

I am so hoping that someone will get off their duff and call one of these places looking for their pet. He's a real sweetie - and I hate to take him to the shelter as ours isn't a "no kill" facility. I couldn't bear the thought of him being put down simply because his owners were jerks. He's wearing a collar, but no tags to identify him. It just makes me want to cry....the poor scared baby, and it doesn't appear anyone is looking for him. :crying:
You might want to take him to your vet or an animal shelter to have him scanned to see if he has a microchip - if he does you might be able to find his owners. You are sweet to take care of him in the mean time!
sara_jayne is offline   Reply With Quote