Old 07-06-2006, 12:38 PM   #41
horve1
Turning the Heel

Lovin' the range of names/sources/stories!
I'm not creative either, but DS is. horve was his name for himself at around 6 years old when he decided he was an alien. When he stopped using it, I took it over for whenever I need a name. And it's very rarely taken!!!
Recent FOs: Earrings; Celtic Cap & Scarf-y; Swatches for TWP; 6 EarFlap Hats; Hand-painted-yarn Sun Spot Stole that decided it wanted to be a Vintage Velvet Scarf; DD's Fuzzy Socks; Shadow Pillow; Aran Pillow; DS's Thuja Socks; Tree of Life Square; Sunny-Flower Square; Ornament; Extreme Knitting 2-in-1 Socks; Single-Needle Scarf Trio; DS's Cardigan; Qiviut Lace Scarf; DD's Daria Belt; DD's Fun Scarf; Mini-Purse from first yarn I spun; BECKA'S LEAVES OF WHIMSY SOCKS W/SWAP YARN FROM BECKA!!!; Knit Bead Bracelet & Earrings; Happy Socks; "Really Cool Socks"; Eagle's Flight Socks; Cabled Fingerless Mitts; Mistake-Rib Socks; Bamboo Mini-Bag; Felted Vase; DD's Basket; Felted Clogs; DS's Sweater; DD's Lacy Stole; Oversize Booga; Crazy Quilt; DS's Backpack.

On needles: A Special Secret Present; Never-Ending Afghan (remainders/reminders from all my projects).
horve1 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-06-2006, 01:04 PM   #42
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Originally Posted by brendajos
yeah you guys aren't very exciting! i wanna know about the brownish coat....and the fried chicken...and the pele boy who says it has nothing to do with soccer!.....i think people are holding out on us!
Brownishcoat has something to do with a movie I've never seen...I think. I know they told me once, but...

And boyforpele...I never thought of soccer...I thought maybe it had something to do with Pele the volcano goddess. :thinking:

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:21 PM   #43
knit-errant
Knitting the Flap

Mine is a bad pun -- it's a play off of the knights errant that went around slaying dragons and saving damsels in distress and all those other crazy chivalrous things.

The tag line on my blog is a send up of the first sentence of Don Quixote -- another knight errant that really meant well, but just didn't quite get it. That's more the angle I'm working from: trying to do the right thing, but always screwing it up somehow.
knit-errant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:48 PM   #44
Kirochka
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Kirochka
"Brownish coat" comes from Firefly/Serenity. (You should see them, Jan! They're wonderful!)

ETA: And Tori Amos has a CD called Boys for Pele, so maybe it's from that (and yes, the volcano goddess, I assume... :thinking: )

Kirochka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:05 PM   #45
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
hey i saw that one in the theatre! a guy i know has been talking about firefly (and ranting about it) since they took it off the air. he went on and on and on so much when the movie came out that i would have felt bad not going to see it. my love for going to the movies is pretty well known amongst my friends so there wouldn't have been a REAL good excuse for not going since i had seen everything else....i mean beyond that i have no interest in that genre. So i went. i was entertained but mostly didn't get it.....but i think me not getting it is the genre thing again!

but i don't recall a brownish coat reference.... :thinking:
Old 07-06-2006, 02:30 PM   #46
Kirochka
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Kirochka
It may be from the Firefly TV series rather than the Serenity movie. :thinking: Lisa (Brownish Coat) keeps explaining and I keep forgetting! It's to do with the brown coats the rebels wore and Mal telling someone why he's wearing it. I'm still waiting for the DVDs to get here (we rented them from Netflix but then I ordered them, had them sent to my parents to watch and then send to us, but they've been delayed...).

Sorry, I'm hijacking the thread! :rollseyes:

Kirochka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:48 PM   #47
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Originally Posted by Kirochka
It may be from the Firefly TV series rather than the Serenity movie. :thinking: Lisa (Brownish Coat) keeps explaining and I keep forgetting!
Thank goodness I'm not the only one who keeps forgetting...at least I knew it was a reference to something though.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:42 PM   #48
brownishcoat
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to brownishcoat Send a message via Yahoo to brownishcoat Send a message via Skype™ to brownishcoat
I feel so popular!

The name comes from the first scene of the first broadcast episode of Firefly called "The Train Job" (Fox aired the episodes out of order).

In the scene, the patrons in the bar are toasting to the 6th anniversary of "Unification Day", which was the end of an interplanetary civil war between the Alliance and the Independents (browncoats). The Alliance won.

The hero (of the series), Captain Malcolm Reynolds, fought for the Independents.

He goes to the bar and orders another drink. The toasting patron stops him, noting that he didn't toast. Then he says, "You know, your jacket is kind of a brownish color."

Mal responds, "It was on sale."

This is funny to me because my mom is a big "on sale" person and by extension, so am I.

Didn't need it? Can't afford it? Doesn't matter! "It was on sale!"

->"You say tomato, I say pimp." --Michael Westen, Burn Notice<-
brownishcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:49 PM   #49
ladyindica2000
1st Leg of the Journey

My name is the name of my cat (Indica) and the year that I came up with the name. I also liked the prefix "lady" (as in Lady Godiva) for some reason. Can't really explain it since it was 6 years ago. Hence, ladyindica2000. I use it for lots of things and can't be bothered to change it. LOL.

Next on the Needles: My own design!!!

Check out my blog: http://seetrishknit.blogspot.com/

My geek code: KE++C+ Exp SPM+ Den++ Steel (+) Addi>+ Syn++ Nov Cot+ Wool> Lux> Hemp? Stash++ Scale++ Fin Ent? FI> Int> Tex> Lace? Felt? Flat Circ+ DPN> Swatch-- KIP SNB> EZ? FO7 WIP1 Guage B+ Cr+ Sw+++ Sp>
ladyindica2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:51 PM   #50
ladyindica2000
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by brownishcoat
I feel so popular!

The name comes from the first scene of the first broadcast episode of Firefly called "The Train Job" (Fox aired the episodes out of order).

In the scene, the patrons in the bar are toasting to the 6th anniversary of "Unification Day", which was the end of an interplanetary civil war between the Alliance and the Independents (browncoats). The Alliance won.

The hero (of the series), Captain Malcolm Reynolds, fought for the Independents.

He goes to the bar and orders another drink. The toasting patron stops him, noting that he didn't toast. Then he says, "You know, your jacket is kind of a brownish color."

Mal responds, "It was on sale."

This is funny to me because my mom is a big "on sale" person and by extension, so am I.

Didn't need it? Can't afford it? Doesn't matter! "It was on sale!"
That made me snort! I am a huge on saler too. My dh constantly says that women are all suckers for a sale. If it says marked down, we will buy it. But he is also quick to remind me that half of a million is still 500 thousand, LOL. Funny guy that one.

Next on the Needles: My own design!!!

Check out my blog: http://seetrishknit.blogspot.com/

My geek code: KE++C+ Exp SPM+ Den++ Steel (+) Addi>+ Syn++ Nov Cot+ Wool> Lux> Hemp? Stash++ Scale++ Fin Ent? FI> Int> Tex> Lace? Felt? Flat Circ+ DPN> Swatch-- KIP SNB> EZ? FO7 WIP1 Guage B+ Cr+ Sw+++ Sp>
ladyindica2000 is offline   Reply With Quote