Old 07-10-2006, 02:34 AM   #1
jjminarcik
Turning the Heel

Beginning knitter's probably dumb yarn question. . .
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to say I am a month-long self-taught knitter that learned through this site. I have read the forums and found answers to many of my beginner questions. But I have one that I can't seem to find an answer to. . .

I found a pattern for a baby blanket that I would like to make for my niece or nephew that will be arriving in November. The pattern is very simple, but here it what it calls for:

Yarn: Seven balls of double knit yarn (approximately 1,050 yards)
Knitting needles: 4.50 mm/ 7 US OR SIZE TO OBTAIN TENSION
Tension: 1" = 5 stitches using garter stitch.

What is double knit yarn?? I think I looked at every kind of yarn today and still can't figure it out!! Is this a type? Brand? Am I missing something? Or am I lacking more sleep than I think??

Please help! Thank you!

PS-I can post pictures of my small completed projects, but my camera is mad at me right now.
jjminarcik is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-10-2006, 02:58 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Double Knit is also and more commonly called DK weight. It's a light worsted. Here is a guide to give you some idea.

Standard Yarn Weight System

Most yarns have the symbol shown on the yarn guide and it will also give you the recommended needle size for the project. That info should be on your pattern, too and I'd follow it unless you use a different yarn weight.

Welcome to the forum!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
isaiah507
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you so much for posting that link!! I had lots of questions about yarns, too!! I had no idea that worseted weight is the same as aran weight.... I thought aran was something more special than that...

I have definately bookmarked that link!! Thank you!

Thanks, Jjminarcik, for asking that "dumb" question that I also had!! :D :D
isaiah507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
It took me a long time to figure out what DK weight yarn was, also, so remember that if you have a question, somebody else had the same question at one time, too--no dumb questions, in other words.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote