Old 07-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #1
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

Help figuring out a pattern.
I'm a fairly new knitter. I got this "Teach Me To Knit" book and I'm working my way through the projects. Right now I'm working on a ripple lap wrap and seem to be having some trouble. You cast on 137 stitches and knit 5 rows. On the sixth it says.....

Knit 2, * knit 2 stitches together, knit 7, yarn over, knit 1, yarn over, knit 7, slip 1 stitch as if to knit, knit 1, pass the slipped stitch over the knit stitch, and off the right needle; repeat from * across to the last 2 stitches, knit 2: you'll still have 137 stitches.

Now the problem I'm having is when I complete the last part, I end up with 3 stitches left to knit, not 2 as the pattern says. I've done it twice and both times, I've ended up with 3 stitches. It still ends up being 137 stitches though. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?
SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-10-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Re: Help figuring out a pattern.
Originally Posted by SabrinaJL
Knit 2, * knit 2 stitches together, knit 7, yarn over, knit 1, yarn over, knit 7, slip 1 stitch as if to knit, knit 1, pass the slipped stitch over the knit stitch, and off the right needle; repeat from * across to the last 2 stitches, knit 2: you'll still have 137 stitches.
Hi welcome to the world of knitting!

There are four stitches outside of the *...* (K2 before, and K2 at the end). If you take that away from the total # of stitches, 137, you are left with 133 stitches which are to be used up on the part between the *...*. Inside the asterix's we have....K2tog (uses 2 stitches), K7 (uses 7), yo (doesn't use any of the original stitches, makes a new stitch), K1 (uses 1), yo (new stitch), K7 (uses 7), sl1, k1, psso (uses 2 stitches), so that is a total of 19 stitches needed to do the middle section. 19 divides evenly into the 133sts so you know that you will do Knit 2, seven repeats of what's inside the *....* (because 19sts x 7 repeats would arrive at 133sts), then Knit 2 at the end.

All that to say, there is no error in the pattern, it should work out.

Have you taken a look at any of the videos showing the abbreviations on this page: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...ons_explained/ ?? There are videos for the yarn over, as well as the sl1, K1, psso. I suspect it is one of those two that are mixing you up.

I hope this has been helpful and not confusing, post back if you still can't figure it out.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:30 PM   #3
Angelia

:thinking:

Hmmmm....

With a repeat like that, you might try using stitch markers to help you keep track of each section. It makes detecting a mistake a lot easier.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:12 PM   #4
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

knitqueen, thanks for the link, those were very helpful.

I'm doing them both correctly, so I just must not be paying attention somewhere. I think I'm going to put it down for a while and try something else, then come back to it.
SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:36 AM   #5
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

I second ang's suggestion for using stitch markers. Nothing is more frustrating than losing/gaining a stitch and not being able to find it... It might make the pattern all wonky if you just leave it.