Old 07-12-2006, 10:49 PM   #11
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
Even acrylic is easier when you are learning. Something with some give to it. And keep practicing. None of us had even knitting after 3 or 4 rows. Maybe after an entire scarf though.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-13-2006, 10:39 AM   #12
kschmitz
Ribbing the Cuff

Bags are another nice, reasonably-sized project to do. Like hats, they can be knit either in the round or flat, and it's a good way to learn finishing techniques. And unlike hats, you don't have to deal with the DPN issue. Also, there are tons of great bag patterns using wool that are felted, which hides uneven stitches, etc. Keep at it, and keep in mind that we're here to help! :D
kschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #13
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by kschmitz
Bags are another nice, reasonably-sized project to do. Like hats, they can be knit either in the round or flat, and it's a good way to learn finishing techniques. And unlike hats, you don't have to deal with the DPN issue. Also, there are tons of great bag patterns using wool that are felted, which hides uneven stitches, etc. Keep at it, and keep in mind that we're here to help! :D
Good points, especially about the felting. I think a bag would be a great idea. (I might have to make one now too! You're very convincing!)
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:17 AM   #14
jodstr2
Instepping Out

aw hang in there Darcy - like others have said before me if you continue instead if ripping out, you will see your stitches and tension become more even.

I bought size 8 metal needles and someone gave me a practice skein of Red Heart acrylic to learn on.

on needles:
Noro Striped Scarf
Lacy Ribbed Socks
Monkey 8

jodstr2
jodstr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:03 PM   #15
Darcy
1st Leg of the Journey

Have to ask
Ok, what does DPN stand for? and the needles I have that are attatched, what are those called? Do I use those for knitting in the round or for
larger pieces of fabric like I originally thought?

Darcy
Darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:12 PM   #16
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
DPN = Double Pointed Needles ...they come in packs of four or ideally five.

The others are circular needles and can be used for knitting flat OR for knitting in the round. if you are going to knit a hat in the round you wouldn't want more than 16 inches from point to point (that is the measurement on the package...point to point)

longer needles have all sorts of great uses as well as knitting in the round.

most patterns done in the round will tell you how long the needle should be. you can usually get by with a shorter needle than recommended but not longer!
Old 07-13-2006, 12:15 PM   #17
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
oh just so you know...I have never used straight needles for anything. well except maybe as swords when my brother and I would play at grandma's when we were kids!

circs can be used for everything you want to knit so if you like them you certainly do not need to have double of everything.

until of course you find that you have filled all your needles and you MUST cast on another project! :rofling:
Old 07-13-2006, 01:00 PM   #18
Darcy
1st Leg of the Journey

Double Pointed Needles - Duh!
Darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:25 PM   #19
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Hang in there As everyone has said...we have had the same experience...practice, I'm afraid is the answer! LOL, when I began I knit the knit st for days on end, then when I felt kind of comfortable with it, I learned to purl and purled for days on end, too. I think that we all start differently, but, practice is the key. And, please don't feel embarrassed or intimidated by the knitting terms...LOL, it took me forever before I knew what on earth frogging was (taking your knitting apart ).
You hang in there and remember...knitting is fun

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:09 AM   #20
origami
Ribbing the Cuff

Re: Venting about knitting - I'm a bit depressed at the mome
Hi Darcy!

I agree with the advice you've gotten here. Get some acrylic or wool-acrylic blend yarn and just practice first. Knitting a scarf might be a good first project because you don't have to worry about rows of 104 stitches.
You can always use the pattern for your poncho with some other yarn and use that cotton yarn for dishcloths & facecloths -- knitting square swatches is wonderful practice and instant gratification knitting. You'll have a finished product. Try not to do too much at first, develop your technique, use the Knitting Help site (how I learned how to knit!) and you'll get better and better.
origami is offline   Reply With Quote