Old 07-12-2006, 11:28 AM   #1
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

Yarn Over & Slipping Stitches
You'd think that'd be really simple, but...

If you're going for the nice selvedge(sp?) edge, and your directions are to slip the first stitch (by just saying "Sl1"), I would slip the stitch as if to purl, right? Does it make a difference if the next stitch you're to do is a knit or a purl? Also, if I'm to slip as if to purl...my yarn is in front, right? Then, if the next stitch is supposed to be knitted, the yarn goes between the needles, correct? Or does the yarn go behind the needle? I seem to be getting a funny bump instead of the nice line of Vs up the side by putting the yarn between the needles... (silly technicalities???)

With the yarn over, (I have watched the video...but I don't have sound :crying: ), if you're going from a purl stitch to a YO to a knit stitch, do you still go between the needles first?

Thanks,

Diane

Recently Finished Projects: 2 felted mobius cat baskets, MANY Lace Washcloths, The Magic Scarf from HELL, 6 Knitted Lace XMas Balls in crochet thread, Lace XMas Ball in mohair, 4 Initialed Washcloths, 2 Lacy Soap Socks (1 knit, 1 crochet), 2 Seamless Rectangle Snuggles (one outside in, one inside out), XMas Tree Illusion Snuggle, 3 scarves for presents, Fisherman Knit Snuggle, Turkish Stitch String Bag, Wheelie Steering Wheel Cover, Moebius Cat Basket, 9 Snuggles, Preemie Hats, Sandy's (Felted) Cat Basket
dplantlady is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
For the selvedge, I slip the first stitch as if to purl, and knit the last stitch. If the next stitch is a knit, I bring the yarn under the needle to the back. This makes a little wrap around the edge. If the next stitch is a purl, I still bring the yarn under the needle and then between them to the front to purl the next stitch. This is for an edge that's to be seen, though. For a seamed edge, I don't think the wrapping is necessary, and might interfere with seaming.

For a YO between a purl to a knit, I just knit with yarn in front. It creates the yo.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:54 AM   #3
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

A little lightbulb went off in my head when I finally found this site showing how to make a chain selvedge. This produces a nice 'braided' edge on both sides and has nice little photos that make it very clear. Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:59 AM   #4
SandraEllen
Working the Gusset

wow. that's a BEAUTIFUL edge! I'm going to have to try that the next time i make a scarf.
SandraEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:18 AM   #5
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

Thanks SO much folks...all the wisdom here is hard to fathom and MUCH appreciated.

It's funny...with the counterpane project...I've been doing *both* these things consistently, but the directions there are very specific, telling you 'zacktly how something is to be done (even if the abbreviations are a bit wacky...) but with this pattern http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTwheelie.html
it just seems different!

Diane

Recently Finished Projects: 2 felted mobius cat baskets, MANY Lace Washcloths, The Magic Scarf from HELL, 6 Knitted Lace XMas Balls in crochet thread, Lace XMas Ball in mohair, 4 Initialed Washcloths, 2 Lacy Soap Socks (1 knit, 1 crochet), 2 Seamless Rectangle Snuggles (one outside in, one inside out), XMas Tree Illusion Snuggle, 3 scarves for presents, Fisherman Knit Snuggle, Turkish Stitch String Bag, Wheelie Steering Wheel Cover, Moebius Cat Basket, 9 Snuggles, Preemie Hats, Sandy's (Felted) Cat Basket
dplantlady is offline   Reply With Quote