Old 07-13-2006, 12:33 AM   #1
sixtyspink
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to sixtyspink
How much of a difference does yarn really make?
Hi,

I am a fairly new knitter. I began with a scarf in garter stitch, with a super bulky yarn and size 13 needles.

Now, I can't seem to get off aluminum needles. I have tried bamboo as well as plastic, but they seem to pull on most of my yarn and give me a very loose, uneven stitch (most of my yarn is wool or a wool blend.) It just turns out looking lumpy, unlike all of the projects I have been seeing on here, which are lovely and even and well...wearable. Could it also be a problem with tension or are alumninum needles really just easier to work with?

Does the type of yarn used on bamboo needles really make that much of a difference or am I just a bad knitter?

Also, I am stuck living in a town where the only access I have to yarn is at the neighborhood Michael's, which seems to be lacking.

Any suggestions for a nice yarn to keep my eye out for?
sixtyspink is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-13-2006, 12:44 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I think the super bulky yarn may be your culprit. The amount of surface area of yarn touching the needle would make the stitches harder to slide, especially on bamboo.

Have you tried knitting with a worsted weight yarn on aluminum needles? I think you'll find that you won't be fighting the yarn. Personally, I like the non-slippery nature of bamboo for double-pointed needles, but for regular knitting, I prefer metal.

Michaels doesn't have the best selection in the world, but some of the acrylics are very soft and nice, and Woolease is a nice blend, readily available.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
Angelia

I prefer aluminum (metal) needles 99% of the time so that my knitting is speedy.

I do prefer bamboo dpns for socks because the yarn doesn't slide, and the needles don't slip out of my work inadvertently. Plus, bamboo has some give, which is nice when working with an object that small. I also use a bamboo dpn as a cable needle.

It is all a matter of preference, though. And, if you really like working with bamboo, getting some really fine sandpaper and giving the needles a once-over might help smooth out any rough spots the manufacturers have missed. (I've had to do that with dpns a few times.) Then, use some wax paper and give them a once-over with that to help make them a little more slick.

You're not a bad knitter! Working out the type of needles you prefer just takes time and patience.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
NinaT
Knitting the Flap

When working on Adamas Shawl I went out and bought bamboo especially for the project. The aluminum needles kept sliding out. The bamboo gives the perfect amount of friction.

Finished: Socks for DS
Hexagon Purse

On Deck: Beret from Gathering of Lace
NinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:48 PM   #5
miccisue
Turning the Heel

If you like aluminum needles, stick with them. There's no law that says you have to use bamboo, rosewood, plastic, or resin. Use what works for you.

I switched from aluminum to bamboo simply because it was hard for me to keep stitches from sliding off the aluminums. Bamboo gave me just the right "texture" to make my knitting easier for me. I learned on plastic, but had trouble finding plastic - everything had gone to aluminum or bamboo. I tried with aluminums, but was getting very frustrated, so tried bamboo and have never looked back. They are what works for me.

Knitting has no laws - it's all based on what you like. If you don't like it, you're not going to enjoy it.

Have a ball!!!
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote