Old 07-13-2006, 04:00 AM   #1
DreamWeaver
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to DreamWeaver
What is your favorite type of yarn?
Okay, I need some help. I use acrylic yarn. I am not proud of it, but there's so many pretty colors

So here's my question to you: what's your favorite type of yarn? I want to know so I can get some good fiber and stop knitting with acrylic! TIA!

FO's: Just finished both of my pink socks. Nothing fancy, but alright.
WIP: Nothing. It's so depressing
Up Next: Purse for my friend (still need to get yarn)
DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-13-2006, 04:06 AM   #2
Lieke
Working the Gusset

well, I love to knit with cotton, but I guess that's mostly because of my wool allergy. I also love those fun fur yarns, but they are hard to knit with, so I haven't tried that yet. I also knit with acrylic, it's okay, but I like the feeling of cotton more.
Lieke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:16 AM   #3
Pink Dandelion
Knitting the Flap

Alpaca and Alpaca Blends is what I like to work with most in general - it's soooo soft. A good merino superwash is what I like to work with best so far for socks (something like Angora Valley Fibers (click on the monarch sport for their sock yarns) or Blue Moon Fiber Arts 'Socks That Rock')

And a cheap 100% wool is always lots of fun for felting.

I'm PinkDandelion at Ravelry!
Pink Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:59 AM   #4
Celine
Turning the Heel

too many
Well I love how soft baby alpaca is but I also love knitting with the Noro yarns. They are so COLORFUL. I like all yarn even some acrylics!!! :XX: :XX:
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:38 AM   #5
Angelia

Merino. Yummy softness!!
Old 07-13-2006, 09:05 AM   #6
candicane
Working the Gusset

I have only been knitting since last fall, but so far my faves are:

Plymouth Grande Baby Alpaca (too pricey for more than a hat for me)
Worsted Merino from 100purewool on ebay (very reasonable)
Wool of the Andes for felting (super cheap)

I have some suri alpaca that I have not used yet, but it is beautiful and so soft and silky. It was definitely a splurge purchase and only enough for a kid's hat.

On my wish list:
Rowan Kidsilk Haze (mohair and silk)

Candice
candicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Re: What is your favorite type of yarn?
Originally Posted by DreamWeaver
Okay, I need some help. I use acrylic yarn. I am not proud of it...
Huh?? Why do you say you're "not proud of it"??? :( I knit with acrylic. Granted, if I weren't on a budget, acrylic would likely not be my first choice. But there's nothing wrong or shameful about acrylic. JMHO

A lady once paid me to make a scarf for her. She paid for the yarn (of course). It was merino wool. I admit that it *did* feel nice to work with . But then again - an acrylic like Caron Simply Soft feels pretty good too. After working with Simply Soft, I've found that I don't like the feel of Red Heart Supersaver anymore.

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:05 AM   #8
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

My favorite yarns so far have been merino and alpaca but I mostly just buy what's on sale and looks pretty.
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:09 AM   #9
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

I agree with you, ekgheiy. I bought some Caron Simply Soft and it feels pretty nice for acrylic. Makes the Red Heart stuff seem scratchier.

This is a good thread for me. So far I only knit with acrylic because I just don't see the point in spending a lot on yarn until my knitting skills are sufficient enough to make something someone is really going to want to wear or use. Once I'm better at it though, I will definitely be looking for some nice yarn.
SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:41 PM   #10
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

For me it all depends on what I'm making, and who it's for. Items for my kids are usually made out of acrylic so that I can easily wash and dry them. Dishcloths and the like basically NEED to be made out of cotton, and the cheapest I can get since it's just for dishes! Socks for my DH are done in WW superwash wool {about $25 a pair!!!}, socks for my kids are done in Bernat Sox {acrylic/nylon blend for under $4 a pair!!!}, socks for me are done in any kind of fingering weight that catches my fancy.

Knitting and crocheting are pretty much all about the process as well as the end result for me. I will use the best that I can afford that's practical at the same time. I haven't spent more than $50 for any afghan, but spent over $120 for one pullover. I knit a pair of ankle socks for my neice, and I could have afforded to use one of my nice {$10+} sock yarns for them, but I made them out of the Sox, because I know that they won't get the care that a "better" yarn would need. "Better" is also subjective IMO, because the way a yarn "feels" is extremely important to me.

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote