Old 07-13-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
friedchickenonmyknitten
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to friedchickenonmyknitten
General question about substituting yarn
Hi gals.

Probably a pretty basic question, but is a little confusing to me. I am trying to make a 100% cashmere dress. The pattern calls for Anny Blatt Capella yarn and is listed as a #5 on the Yarn weight system. I decided because I have priced this yarn at my favorite store at $41.00 for a 25g ball that I would do some shopping around and try to substitute the yarn out with a less expensive brand but am trying to figure out how to do that. A couple of the people selling yarn on line have listed the yarn as 1ply, 2 ply, 12 ply etc. What does that mean and how can I make sure I am getting yarn comparable to what I need. Thanks for your help.

"I guess Madison Ave is afraid of the Dark", Nat King Cole.

OTN:
Short Sleeve Cardigan Vogue Knitting
friedchickenonmyknitten is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-13-2006, 09:51 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Well let's see... #5 is chunky so you need some chunky cashmere? :thinking: You might try Yarndex. I put in a search for cashmere and bulky and got a few. Change or add to the search as needed. How many stitches per inch does it say? There's a few more choices in the heavy worsted category. I'm not sure about the plys so someone else will have to help you there.

Yarndex

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:22 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
The number of plies is not an automatic gauge of how thick the yarn is. It's just the number of strands that are twisted together. You can have 2-ply fingering weight yarn, or 2 ply chunky yarn.

A 5 could be construed as a heavy worsted, too. Your best bet is to get an idea of the gauge of the pattern and compare that to the suggested gauge of the yarn.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:31 AM   #4
friedchickenonmyknitten
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to friedchickenonmyknitten
How do you even know if it is real cashmere
Thanks for the tips ladies. I found a seller on the internet that is selling 10 balls 130yds per ball for a little over $100. I am skeptical because that is a huge difference from the the $41 per ball I would be paying for the Anny Blatt my pattern calls for. Does anyone else find this hard to believe. Does anyone else know where I can get really cheap cashmere or is this something that you definately have to spend the big bucks on. Oh and what do all the little rubber duckies mean?

"I guess Madison Ave is afraid of the Dark", Nat King Cole.

OTN:
Short Sleeve Cardigan Vogue Knitting
friedchickenonmyknitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:20 AM   #5
carollovesyarn
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to carollovesyarn
Remember the adage, "you get what you pay for." But then again, you are wise to look for the bargain. Cashmere is expensive for a reason. If you buy cheap fiber, you'll be very frustrated and have worthless yarn.

However, many people have recommended this eBay seller: colourmartuk. I've never purchased from them, but they have excellent ratings and you can see pictures of what customers have made. They also give detail about their yarns in the listings, so it tells me they know what they are selling. They even have a free sample pack, so you can try samples for yourself - very cool. I keep telling myself to get one, but haven't yet. They don't seem to have anything larger than aran.

Then there's School Products. I haven't ordered from them yet either, but they have a good rep. They have some bulky cashmere right now.
Not to mention some cash/merino on cones or in skeins that comes in lots of colors. They have Karabella cash too, but more $$.

That's as much as I know (not much!) and those are the 2 places I would consider.

In the Wings: felted clogs, socks

Recent FO: dishcloth for swap, booties for cousins babe

KALs: Grannie Smith, Monthly Dishcloths, Mason-Dixon
carollovesyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
knitasha
Turning the Heel

Just a thought: cashmere is a very warm fiber. A bulky cashmere dress in L.A. might be suffocating, unless it's sleeveless and low cut and loosely knit.
knitasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:10 PM   #7
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

Another option is that if you find a thinner substitute that you like, you can double it or triple it to get the recommended guage. That's what I had to do with my Skacel pullover. Even with having to buy double the wool, it was still half the price {and a much better feeling fibre too} than what the pattern recommended.

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote