Old 07-14-2006, 01:09 AM   #1
Mrs.H
1st Leg of the Journey

OT, Mother of the Bride Dresses
Help, our youngest daughter is getting married the last Saturday of Oct., and I'm having a difficult time finding a dress to wear. The wedding will be in Las Vegas(she lives there), and her colors are apple red, and royal blue(yes, a red, white and blue wedding, my future SNL is in the Navy), her gown is ivory with apple red trim, and her attendants will be wearing gowns that match the trim on her gown. It will be a semi formal wedding at 6:30 in the evening, with a dinner reception afterwards. I can't decide what color to look for, royal blue, taupe, or something else. I do want to buy something I can hopefully wear again, I hate to buy something really nice and only wear it once! I've looked at all the MOTB's dresses on the David's Bridal website(where she bought her gown), and hated all of them! If anyone has seen any suitable dresses/skirt sets in a national store chain please post it here. Time is flying by quickly, and I've got to find something soon, or this MOTB will be wearing the same thing I got married in, jeans and a sweatshirt. I almost forgot to say that I wear a 18/20 in plus sizes, so no skinny girls clothing please.
Linda
Mrs.H is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-14-2006, 02:22 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,796 Times in 7,157 Posts
My daughter's wedding was burgundy and white. I wore a taupe colored dress. It was long, sleeveless and had some beading on the top. Unfortunately I could never wear it again so it's smart to find that type if you can.

I would think any store that sells formals or very dressy dresses might have something for you. Nordstrom, Macys and the like? :thinking:

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:36 AM   #3
candicane
Working the Gusset

Have you tried Talbots? My mom bought her outfit (skirt and jacket) for my wedding there. THey also carry plus sizes.

Candice
candicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
HollyP
Working the Gusset

My mom, who is your size, has had a lot of good luck with Nordstrom. She has gotten several dresses for special occasions in the past there and most recently bought a beautiful dress for my brother's wedding last fall. I agree that the MoB dresses at David's are horrible.

Good luck, I know dress shopping can be so stressful! Best wishes to your DD and her DF!

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
Mama Bear
Turning the Heel

Several friends have had luck shopping at www.coldwatercreek.com They have plus sizes, and you can order several dresses and send back the ones you don't buy. Plus, they have a great outlet online! You do have shipping costs, but with the price of gas that can be cheaper than going out to shop.

The Nordstoms site online is great too. They often have some really nice outfits in their sale section as well as the normal sections. If you order from there and you don't like it or it doesn't fit right, you can return it to any Nordstroms if you don't want to pay return shipping.

Mama Bear

Edited, I had the URL wrong :( Sorry.

Knit-Along For A Cause: lucybug.org
Mama Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:35 PM   #6
jhelanee
Turning the Heel

I too would suggest a department store such as Nordstrom or Macy's over bridal shops. That way you get to try things on rather than just ordering and hoping and the styles are easier to wear again (at least according to my Mother who had the same issue two years ago)

Recently finished: DH's small-gauge sweater; Secret of the Stole ii - "Savannah"; BSJ (well the knitting anyway)
On Needles: socks; Odessa (from Magknits)

jhelanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:37 PM   #7
gimmesanity
Turning the Heel

My vote is for Nordstrom, too.
Also, you don't necessarily have to match the wedding party. I'd find something that you like and that suits you first, and then see if you can maybe get it in another color if you're not too sure about it.
Maybe a beige or champagne color would work? Plus, you can totally wear those colors again.

Good luck finding a dress!

My Knitting/Reading/Running/Rambling Blog
gimmesanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:31 AM   #8
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

Coldwater Creek has beautiful things and I've been a fan of Nordstrom's ever since they opened in our are. As much as I like taupe/champagne/beige, I love royal blue (a particularly good color for me).

Have you considered checking into having a dress made by a local seamstress? I have a friend who had one made and said it wasn't really more expensive than buying one off the rack.
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:20 PM   #9
Mrs.H
1st Leg of the Journey

Duh, silly me, I guess my brain really is fried. Talbot's, and Coldwater Creek, never even crossed my mind. I can't even remember the last time I was in a Nordstrom dept. store, most likely before I left Philly back in the late 80's. I'll check out all their websites, I want to find out if Nordstrom's has a store within 50 miles of here, that would be fantastic. I talked with a friend of mine today, and we decided that if I don't find something soon we're going to on a major shopping expedition in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking about making a mini trip out of it, maybe running down to Atlanta,GA for a couple of days, that would be a blast. :D Thank you for all your suggestions, I can't wait to check them all out.
Linda
Mrs.H is offline   Reply With Quote