Old 07-14-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
ladyindica2000
1st Leg of the Journey

Idea for a swap
Ok, I have an idea for a swap. I will admit that I got the idea while reading another blog, but I still think that it would be fun to try here if anyone is interested.

Its no secret that I love sock yarn, but I often experience the dreaded "second sock syndrome". I thought it might be fun to do the swap this way:

-everyone buys sock yarn and finds a complimentary pattern. You then knit one sock and send the rest of the yarn and the pattern (and anything else you may want to include) and send the whole shebang out to your partner.

That way, no one experiences second sock syndrome and we all get to swap more stuffs.

Any thoughts/ideas??

And, as an extra bonus, I will even volunteer to co-facilitate the swap (or if need be, do it myself).

What say you all?

Trish

Next on the Needles: My own design!!!

Check out my blog: http://seetrishknit.blogspot.com/

My geek code: KE++C+ Exp SPM+ Den++ Steel (+) Addi>+ Syn++ Nov Cot+ Wool> Lux> Hemp? Stash++ Scale++ Fin Ent? FI> Int> Tex> Lace? Felt? Flat Circ+ DPN> Swatch-- KIP SNB> EZ? FO7 WIP1 Guage B+ Cr+ Sw+++ Sp>
ladyindica2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-14-2006, 04:50 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

I think it's a really really neat idea, especially as one suffering from second sock syndrome - only hesitation is because it would be two different people each making one sock of a pair, that the gauge would be slightly different, the style would come out slightly different, or whatever - ya know?
Old 07-14-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
ladyindica2000
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by knitqueen
I think it's a really really neat idea, especially as one suffering from second sock syndrome - only hesitation is because it would be two different people each making one sock of a pair, that the gauge would be slightly different, the style would come out slightly different, or whatever - ya know?
I did think about that, but figured that I could add into the emails a question asking people to describe their guage (ie, tight, bang on, or loose) and then could pair people up acc'd to guage. If it didn't turn out the way that you like, I suppose you could frog one sock.

My geek code: KE++C+ Exp SPM+ Den++ Steel (+) Addi>+ Syn++ Nov Cot+ Wool> Lux> Hemp? Stash++ Scale++ Fin Ent? FI> Int> Tex> Lace? Felt? Flat Circ+ DPN> Swatch-- KIP SNB> EZ? FO7 WIP1 Guage B+ Cr+ Sw+++ Sp>
Old 07-15-2006, 10:02 PM   #4
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Orrr, the person who is sending the "second sock: to be finished can just include their exact gauge, and the person receiving the second sock can adjust thier needles accordingly.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:00 AM   #5
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
This could also be for knitted items that need a matching pair. Like wristwarmers, gloves, ect.

Neat idea!
Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:15 PM   #6
ladyindica2000
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin
Orrr, the person who is sending the "second sock: to be finished can just include their exact gauge, and the person receiving the second sock can adjust thier needles accordingly.
That's a great idea!! Thanks for the suggestion!!

Old 07-16-2006, 04:18 PM   #7
Emeraldcutie
Knitting the Flap

Iam a sock nut, so I would be interested We could also pick a generic pattern like a ribbed one that will allow for guage variance and still fit nicely
Emeraldcutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:12 AM   #8
ladyindica2000
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jenelle
This could also be for knitted items that need a matching pair. Like wristwarmers, gloves, ect.

Neat idea!
Oh, this is a good idea too. This way, everyone could be included. And, more people could be included. I am getting more and more in love with this idea.

I know that there are a number of cute pattern ideas out there that involve knitting 2 things... wrist warmers, fingerless mittens/gloves, regular mittens/gloves, legwarmers.

I think that I may just post this one after we move (which is officially over as of the 31st of August). Maybe mid August would give everyone enough time to think about whether or not they wanted to participate and give me enough time to get my gear in order and also finish the project that I am designing.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 07-18-2006, 11:26 AM   #9
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
well I was a bit skeptical of this idea initially because I was certain that I would never be able to do something like this. BUT if enough time was given to complete the first half of the project it could probably be done.

NOW something I was thinking about that could be fun would be to not tell the recipient what they are getting. Like I am knitting a mitten and they have no idea if they are getting a mitten, sock, wrist warmer, etc. Might want to make sure the person is geographically situated for mittens or whatever but otherwise them not knowing could be part of the fun. :thinking:
Old 07-18-2006, 11:30 AM   #10
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

I don't know about that - socks are one thing, but I'm so not into things like wrist warmers and I am very much not into knitting mittens. I love mittens, just not making them, so receiving a mitten in the mail and then having to make the second one, I don't think I'd like that. Ya know?