Old 07-18-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
JeanieF
Casting On

Staggered Brioche Rib
Hi, I noticed a previous conversation about Brioche rib, but I have a different question. My knitting dictionary shows a very interesting pattern that they call Staggered Brioche Rib.

I'm a beginning knitter, but this stitch is labeled "easy". Unfortunately, I am doing something wrong and I can't figure it out. I spent an hour on the internet searching for Staggered Brioche and found nothing, so I hope you don't mind my asking such a detailed question in this forum.

Here are the instructions:

multiple of 2 sts + 1

Row 1: k1, * K1B, k1, rep from * to end
Row 2-4: Rep the first row

Row 5: k2, K1B * k1, K1B; rep from * to last 2 sts, k2
Row 6-8: Repeat row 5.

I'm still on rows 1-4. The way I am interpreting these instructions, each K1B in rows 2, 3 and 4, is going into a stitch that was also a K1B in the prior row. But I am not finding a new stitch to go into "below". I find only the hole I went through before. Any idea what I've done wrong?

Also, the stitch I remove from the left needle after I K1B seems to turn into a hole. Is that what is supposed to happen? The picture in my dictionary doesn't show any holes.

Thank you in advance for any light that you can shed on this!

Jeanie F

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-18-2006, 11:47 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
Welcome! We actually prefer that you ask in the forum because the questions and answers can help others that way.

According to the abbreviations that Amy has here in the forum k1b can mean "knit through the back loop." :thinking:

Try knitting through the back loop instead and see if that solves the problem. To do that you go down through the loop and knit. See the video at the link I posted. It's below the k1b.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Does the pattern specify what K1B actually means?? I think it can very rarely mean to knit through back loop, usually that is K1tbl, so it's likely that it means to knit stitch in row below. Did you take a look at the video for this stitch on the abbreviations page that Jan mentioned, just so you know that you're doing it properly??
Old 07-18-2006, 02:11 PM   #4
JeanieF
Casting On

Staggered Brioche Rib
Thanks for your comments.

Well, the glossary of the dictionary says very clearly that K1B means knit one below.

Interesting, though, there is nothing in the glossary for knit one behind (through the back loop). Hmmm...

I did watch the video, but I'll check it out again and try again on a small swatch.

Then I'll try the knit one behind approach.

Then I'll write you back and let you know what I discovered.

Of course, if anyone else has any other hints in the meantime, I'd be happy to try those too.

Thanks, everyone!

Jeanie
Old 07-18-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
JeanieF
Casting On

Staggered Brioche Rib again
I wish I could send you a picture. I think some of you might recognize this stitch. If anyone has the Reader's Digest "Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches" (2003), it is on page 66 in the chapter on textured patterns.

Thank you, thank you!

Jeanie F.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:20 PM   #6
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

YES, I have that book and I actually found the very pattern you are talking about this morning. It is most definitely knit into stitch below and not knit into back of stitch. I don't have anything else to work on at the moment so I'm going to try a swatch this afternoon and see what happens. Then we can compare notes.

BTW, don't forget to do the 'foundation row', one row of knitting. Otherwise you won't have a stitch to knit into below the first row instructions.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:44 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
Oops. I was wrong, sorry!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:00 PM   #8
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Jeanie, I tried the stitch and I just couldn't get it to look like the picture . I found that because there are 4 rows one after the other with K1B into the same stitches on each of those rows, that things got a bit bunchy and didn't really even out after going on for a few repeats. What are you hoping to use this stitch for?

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:49 PM   #9
JeanieF
Casting On

Staggered Brioche Rib
Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for testing this out! All bunched up is exactly what I was experiencing. That's bad news, of course, because I have to give up the pattern. But I'm thrilled to at least to "know".

I'm working with a mulberry tweed worsted acrylic yarn that is a little "itchy". (I'm allergic to wool and don't like itchy -- even though this one is acrylic, it bugs me.)

I bought enough yarn to do a pullover style sweater. So I have been experimenting with various swatch patterns to try to find an inspiration to get me beyond itchy. By accident, I discovered that a larger, bulkier stitch makes the resulting piece feel much softer, and when I saw the Staggered BR, I thought it might be perfect.

Alas.

But doesn't that stitch pattern look familiar? I feel as though I've seen it in Aran sweaters, so I think maybe it has a second name somewhere (and maybe different instructions to go with it!)

I emailed Readers' Digest books today to see if they ever published a corrections listing -- I've seen those for other publications.

I'll keep you posted if I learn anything! Thanks to everyone!

Jeanie F.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:28 PM   #10
thumpy
Casting On

Staggered Brioche Rib
Surprisingly, I just registered here and had earlier today studied Decorative Increases and Decreases - Doing a small sample of the Brioche (Honeycomb) Rib. The answer to your problem is in the book, The Principles of Knitting, Simon & Shuster, Author June Hemmons Hiatt, ISBN 0-671-55233-3; pg 85
The directions go like this:
"Preparation Row: *Yns, sl1, k1*, repeat from * to *. (Because the yarn is on the nearside when you knit, it will pass over the needle and across the slipped stitch, forming a Yarnover.)
All Subsequent Rows: *Yns, sl1, k2tog*, repeat from * to *. (The Knit Two Together will join the Slipped Stitch and the Yarnover.)
Final Row: *K1, k2tog*, repeat from * to *."
This is the basic stitch and it worked beautifully for me. I didn't try to follow your instructions but it seems your Row 5 is staggering the Rib.
Hope this is a help to you, Thumpy
Afterthought: To knit in the back, you lift the nubbin.
thumpy is offline   Reply With Quote