Old 07-20-2006, 09:43 AM   #11
VickiIL
Turning the Heel

I'm trying to make the switch to Conti. I have knitting down pat. And since I was a crocheter as a kid this felt very comfy. Purling has been harder to switch. I am now at a point where I am determined to learn and make it comfy. It just seems so much faster. So I picked up a ball of yarn that I have a ton of and won't miss and figured I will work on a swatch everyday for a little bit until it is as comfy as english is. This may be the longest swatch in history but by the time I am done I will be a Conti knitter!
sockettes in KP Bare tweed

Crocheting:
Fat Bottom Bag from SNB - Crochet

Reading:
Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan
VickiIL is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-20-2006, 10:38 AM   #12

Originally Posted by Not Special
I hope I continue with e or c or whatever I end up cos this is a nice community
It really is :sunny:
Old 07-20-2006, 12:17 PM   #13
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

I, too, began as an English knitter, I taught myself to knit and it was easier to learn the throwing method for me.
I then decided that I wanted to learn conti knitting and gave it a go with Amy's helpful videos...well, after a couple of weeks it was completely natural to me and English then seemed a bid of an odd way to knit.
Now, if I can possibly remember before beginning another project, I want to try combination knitting

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:32 PM   #14
HollyP
Working the Gusset

I learned to knit English. When I discovered this site I tried to knit continental but my tension was way to tight. I went back almost immediately to English. Recently I was knitting a long ways( I cast on 400 stitches) scarf for myself . After a row and a half of knitting my right had was getting so tired and cramped I was beginning to wonder if I should start over and just knit a side to side scarf. But I really was loving the vertical stripes I was getting so I switched to Continental and kept going. The best part was my right hand could rest! My tension is getting much, much better.
I still don't feel completely comfortable with Cont. Now I am knitting a scarf for my brother and I am trying to do it all continental. I figure after I finish this scarf if I am still not comfortable I will go back to English but I have a feeling I probably won't.

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:51 PM   #15
kschmitz
Ribbing the Cuff

I taught myself throwing with my left hand (I do everything else right-handed besides brushing my teeth ). I had tried conti knitting a couple of times in the middle of projects, but would switch back because my tension was way too tight.

I started a sock class at a LYS 3 weeks ago, and the instructor took some time to show me conti since as he put it "I was practically doing it anyway." I decided to stick with it from the beginning, and now I'm a convert!

(I do need to learn English for stranding, though! :D )
kschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:32 PM   #16
Limey
Turning the Heel

I learned English knitting and tried out Continental - it took me quite a while to learn and what I've found is that the tension for Continental is about half an inch bigger in width and length on a 20 row swatch, using worsted wool and 4mm needles.

If I try to hurry it though, the tension becomes tight. The problem I have is that I sometimes get bored knitting English and then try Continental half way through something - NOT A GOOD IDEA! Too much difference in the stitch size.

Another prob. with the way I knit English is that I stick the right needle under my arm - which is pretty effective until you want to use circulars! Continental has come in really handy for that and for shorter length needles and it seems easier for me to do Continental that way, rather than on longer length straight needles.

Limey
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:53 PM   #17
jamiejeans
Knitting the Flap

I'm an English knitter... just felt more natural that way. Although I am told that this is unusual for a lefty! (And I crochet with the hook in my right hand... so go figure)

Check out my neglected blog for finished objects and other humors:
www.squawkergirl.blogspot.com

My website: http://jamiejeanjewelry.com
MY ETSY:
http://jamiejeanjewelry.etsy.com
jamiejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:59 PM   #18
Braden
Instepping Out

I am a Continental knitter (hence the username) LOL I learned English, but I watched Amy's videos and it is just faster and easier. Great for doing ribbing. For me, switching was akward, but try it. you'll love it.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:06 AM   #19
knit-a-holic
Knitting the Flap

I learned to knit using the Continental method. I've tried the English way, but it just doesn't feel comfortable. I have the best tension with the working yarn in my left hand. It is faster and easier, although I would like to knit both ways.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:09 AM   #20
jdee
Working the Gusset

I use the English method, because that's how I learned. Since finding this site, I've been trying to use the conti method more. If I have a project that's garter stitch, I can do it, but purling is just out of the question. No matter how I try, I just can't get it.

I started a thread a while back, that I can no longer find. It had to do with some trouble I was having with numbness in my fingers on my right hand. Anyway, this is the reason I started trying the conti method. Now I have another problem. The thumb of my left hand cramps. *sigh*

I end up knitting English until my right hand fingers go numb, then switching to conti until my left thumb cramps up, then switch back..... (unless it's a pattern with purl stitches. Then it has to be english all the way)

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
jdee is offline   Reply With Quote