Old 07-20-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
sop 1
1st Leg of the Journey

Sock Problem
I am on my second pair of socks now and have a problem. I am using #2 DPN's and Austerman "Step", a new fingering sock yarn that the LYS recommended. Doing them for my DH. I cast on 64 sts and divide between three needles (not an even divide). I join and when I get all the sts knit off needle one and move to the next needle there is a HUGE gap and I cannot for the life of me get the yarn tight enough to close most of the gap. It seems like everything is soooooooo tiny I cannot maneuver it the right way. I do not have large hands but they feel like monsters. I am also having a problem going from one needle to another on a purl st by adding a stitch (I know about the yarn through the needles thing but can't seem to get it right). Should I go up a needle size? The LYS recommended #2 over #3 but now I am not so sure. I did not have this problem with my first pair; of course the yarn was Cascade Fixation and the needles #4. Help!
Sop 1 in NC :crying:

sop 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-20-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

So there's a big gap that forms a 'ladder' between the needles, where they join?? Something that I do (when I use dpns, which isn't often at all, I'm more of a magic loop kinda gal ) is this. When I reach the end of needle 1, instead of immediately switching to using the empty needle to knit off of needle 2, I keep on with the same needle that I just knit onto and with that needle, work the first few stitches of the next needle. Then I take the empty needle and work the rest. I do this after every needle. This way, the 'join' rotates around the sock and it is not noticeable as one ladder all the way down, in fact it's not noticeable at all. Using this method though, the beginning of the round rotates around as well so you need to be sure that you place a marker where the true beginning of your round is.

If that's not the problem, it may just be that you are not used to the small needles and just need to keep plugging away until you get better at it. There is a big difference between a size 4 and a size 2, I know. It feels like knitting with toothpicks at first. You can do it though!
Old 07-20-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
SandraEllen
Working the Gusset

knitqueen, that is a brilliant idea. I'll have to remember that one for future use.
SandraEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Just so you know, it wasn't my idea - I'll give credit where credit is due, I got it from a sock boot camp that used to be online - I can't find it anymore anyways, which is too bad because it was great. It taught me how to do socks. It IS a brilliant tip though, with that I'll agree!!
Old 07-20-2006, 01:12 PM   #5
sop 1
1st Leg of the Journey

Sock Problem
Thank you sooooo much KnitQueen! I am going to start over and do exactly as you said! It makes so much sense when you think about it. As long as you know where the round starts who cares how you move around the circle!! Also, I think the "toothpick" syndrome is part of the problem too! I always get great advice on this forum.

Sop 1 in NC :XX:

sop 1 is offline   Reply With Quote