Old 07-21-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
Renoah
1st Leg of the Journey

Properties of nylon?
Not a how-to question (yet!), more of a fiber question.

My grandmother recently brought me a lot of yarn from her stash. Much of it is ooooooold fingering weight yarn, originally intended for baby things, I believe. (Her hands can't handle the small stuff any more. :( ) I had an idea that I could use the yarn to make baby things for the first great-grandchild (not yet on the way- but I'm planning ahead ).

But the yarn is "100% virgin crimp set nylon", and I don't know anything about nylon yarn, except that it's not something I see sold. This stuff feels softer than anything I've ever felt. (I'm sorely tempted to make them into socks for meeeee...) But is it warm? Is it something that babies could be allergic to? What would be best to use it for? It claims to be machine washable, but I don't know what that means- how machine washable is "machine washable" yarn from what I assume is the 1950's? And is there a place where I can go to look up strange yarns that are older than I am?

Also, how dangerous would it be to mix it with acrylic (an actual soft acrylic) or a 50/50 wool/nylon blend? Or is that something I can only answer with the dreaded Swatching?

I'm full of questions tonight. :D

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-21-2006, 10:57 PM   #2
AidanM
Turning the Heel

I've always just treated it the way I treat any synthetic fiber and it doesn't seem to have done it any great harm.

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:02 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I believe a lot of the current baby yarns are still nylon--or at least partially so. They are soft, and probably don't bother a baby's skin at all. I'd mix them with any other non-wool or blend without reservation. I'm not an expert on fibers, but I think nylon can be treated as any acrylic.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:39 PM   #4
Renoah
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks for the answers! I'm glad to know I can use this without fear. :D Now to start planning baby knits... :XX: