Old 07-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #1
AidanM
Turning the Heel

Uncomprehending Non-Knitters - Grrr..
I conquered the first 1/3 of a baby sweater I've had to rip back two or three times. I've been telling my friends because most of them are able to humour me. However, a few have said "Conquered? Jeez Aidan, it's not a mountain or anything!"
It's not a mountain.
Huh.
So this morning I just asked one of them point-blank "Have YOU ever knitted a sweater?" And they didn't answer me. I went on to say, "You're right. Climbing a mountain has a lot fewer steps!" then I showed her the math that gave me my total number of completed stitches. Still, she said nothing.
Finally I told her, "Look, don't belittle my accomplishments because I have as much invested in my knitting as you do in your writing. Just remember how it feels to have somebody belittle your writing and your triumphs."

I'm still a little peeved, but I feel better for having said something back. What do you say when somebody tries to belitle your accomplishments as a knitter? I can't seem to get through to most people, today was an exception.

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-23-2006, 02:14 PM   #2
Cristy
Instepping Out

I've been lucky enough not to have anyone belittle my knitting too badly although it irritates me sometimes when I think people don't take it seriously. Earlier today my mil and fil were here to drop off dd who has been with them for the weekend. Just before they got home I had decided to pick up a sock I started a long time ago and try it again. In the process of them coming in and dd running around like only a 4 yr old can do, I managed to forget to pick up my working needle to knit and was using needles 2 and 3 of my round--I was knitting from needle #2 onto needle #3. I realized what I had done and started counting stitch and trying to figure out how to replace the stitches on their correct needles when I noticed that I no longer had the correct number of stitches. (I tend to talk to myself a lot when I knit) "How is that possible!" I sort of whispered and my mil began to giggle outloud. I don't know why but it sort of irritated me--i wanted to tell her this wasn't exactly a laughing matter although I knew she wouldn't understand.

Unfortunately, I've been so frustrated w/ my knitting un-accomplishments lately that the only person I have to scold for negativity is myself!

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
I usually say, "I don't see you doing anything productive with your life," to them.. I have a very low tolerance when people do belittle me..

But it seems that lately people are belittleing me for starting one project and not finishing it. Or I'm not knitting enough. :rollseyes:
Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:48 PM   #4
cecile77
1st Leg of the Journey

Luckily I haven't really had any bad experiences with my friends or family belittling my knitting. This guy at work told me that it was "grandma stuff" and that I shouldn't be doing it. A minute later he asked me if I could make him a hat. Once people see your work they will realize how much time and effort goes into it and they won't be so quick to dismiss it.
cecile77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 03:22 PM   #5
Jeremy
Mod Squad

My critics will say something like "but you haven't finished that pair of socks yet..." They have no understanding of how many wips the ususal kniiter has.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 04:09 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I've been lucky and no one has belittled me (at least to my face), but I love your response. It leaves them little room to argue which is the way to handle it. Go you!!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:47 PM   #7
EssenceRose
Knitting the Flap

Surprisingly enough, I had the opposite reaction. I learned that a friend of mine (who I've known for 5 years) also knits. Imagine my shock when she showed me one of her WIP's -- I was stunned! So now we have one more thing to talk about. I even have a male friend who admits to knitting and I was equally surprised by that.

I don't know how I would react if somebody tried to belittle something that I thought of as an accomplishment. I don't think anybody should do that -- it's just plain rude. I'd probably fume silently and then make a point of showing off my very awesome new scarf/sweater/socks/hat/etc when it was finished. LOL

On the hook! - Fan Bookmark Scarf , Friendship Doily, Fan Bookmark

Rantings of a Crazed Woman!

EssenceRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:20 AM   #8
Mrs.H
1st Leg of the Journey

I am also one of the lucky ones so far, no snide comment have come my way, only polite inquiries about my WIP. Sometimes I catch my DH sitting there, just watching me knit, he says he love to watch me, it reminds him of watching his late mother and grandmother. Not very romantic, but the wistful look on his face is so sweet.
Linda
Mrs.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:41 AM   #9
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
Aiden, maybe it's time to make some new friends? These sound pretty rude to me. :thinking:
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:55 AM   #10
feministmama
Instepping Out

I always think of a snappy comeback to some snide remark.....10 minutes after they made it :rollseyes:

My son's dad also makes fun of my "little sewing projects" (he can't even get the craft right) until he saw my clogs I made and he thought they were the coolest things he had ever seen. he said I should sell them at our local craft fair downtown. Humph.
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote