Old 07-24-2006, 11:05 AM   #11

Kudos to you for being able to have a comeback right away.

(If it were me, I'd have thought of something an hour later :rollseyes: )

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-24-2006, 11:11 AM   #12
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
I don't have friends that make fun really. I guess they do tease a little but that is just the relationship we have. My best guy friend kind of glazes over when i talk about it (or at least pretends to) but I do the same thing when he talks about tax laws...lol. He calls me Knitter in that same tone that I call him CPA Dork! :rofling: My other friends just shake their heads when i pull out the knitting and then get in line for the finished goods...lol
Old 07-24-2006, 11:11 AM   #13
AnreeAce
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by feministmama
I always think of a snappy comeback to some snide remark.....10 minutes after they made it :rollseyes:
Ah, my psychic twin!

My DH was a little condescending at first until I reminded him how he'd felt when I talked about him "learning" to ride his motorcycle.

One lady at work called me Granny for a little while until I told her it was a shame she'd never learned a craft from hor grandmother.

Other than that, people have been pretty cool about it.

Good for you Aidan!

I believe in a life of Virtuous Sloth, but it sounds so much better in Latin: otium cum dignitate, leisure with dignity.
AnreeAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:31 AM   #14
VickiIL
Turning the Heel

I can't say I have ever had a negative comment or even teasing about my knitting from any of my friends or family. Actually it has only been from complete strangers that I have ever been teased. Usually a "Funny, you don't look like a little old lady" type of comment.

My friends and family either 1. do sometype of yarn craft themself...or 2. are amazed that anyone can make anything with sting and 2 sticks! Sometimes when someone learns for the first time that I knit I get a "Really?! You can do that?! Cool!" and then they tell me about someone they know that knits or crochets or what ever.
sockettes in KP Bare tweed

Crocheting:
Fat Bottom Bag from SNB - Crochet

Reading:
Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan
VickiIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:35 PM   #15
AidanM
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by feministmama
I always think of a snappy comeback to some snide remark.....10 minutes after they made it :rollseyes:

My son's dad also makes fun of my "little sewing projects" (he can't even get the craft right) until he saw my clogs I made and he thought they were the coolest things he had ever seen. he said I should sell them at our local craft fair downtown. Humph.
Whenever people say "You should sell ___" whatever craft it is, I always explain how long it takes to make something and then I say "Just multiply that out with minimum wage. That is what you would have to pay, plus taxes and the materials, and that's just to cover costs." They usually go a little cross-eyed trying to figure it out in their head, but the numbers add up reeeeally quick.

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #16
njknitter
Knitting the Flap

Do you ever get the "Oh, I'd love to do that, but I don't have the time." This always rubs me the wrong way, although I don't know why. I am a busy person myself, but knitting is something I love to do, so I find time when I can.

It seems to me that people find time to do things they WANT to do. The people who say this are those who spend their leisure time doing all sorts of things (reading, golfing, boating, gardening, watching tv, whatever).

I always (politely) say, "Of course you have time, you just prefer to spend it doing something else."

So good for you on speaking up!! Also, strike that person off your knitting "to do" list!
Lynn
5 baby blankets; 2 afghans; 1 large afghan for large brother-in-law; 4 scarves; 4 toddler sweaters; 6 simple teddy bears; This teddy bear and 4 others from the book; 1 monkey; 1 tank top/cardigan set; 1 cape; 1 shrug; 1 pair mittens; 2 pairs socks; 2 pairs felted clogs; 1 hat; lace edged tank, Vitadini Lace Yoked Top

Currently working on: scarf for sis
njknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:35 PM   #17
iza
Turning the Heel

It's strange isn't it how people don't realize how much work is involved in making clothes... Is it because most clothes we buy are so cheap? Or that it's something granny used to do so therefore it HAS to be easy? I don't totally understand sometimes the disrespectful comments people have for crafters. I think mechanics, carpenters, etc., feel the same way sometimes. It seems there's a "class" issue going on, maybe? Knitting also has the "problem" of being a traditional women's craft so there is certainly a bit of sexism too. Anyways, Aidan, your answer was perfect!
iza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:14 PM   #18
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
What bugs me is when someone says, "Hey, that's nice. Will you make one for me?" Then I say, "I will if you buy the yarn and pay me for my time." Then, they wrinkle up their nose and say, "Never mind." :rollseyes:
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:18 PM   #19
AidanM
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by carolina red
What bugs me is when someone says, "Hey, that's nice. Will you make one for me?" Then I say, "I will if you buy the yarn and pay me for my time." Then, they wrinkle up their nose and say, "Never mind." :rollseyes:
Right - It's like they think "Well if they have nothing better do to with their time than sit there and play with string, maybe they'll make me something." Uh, how about we already have loved ones to knit for not to mention ourselves and you need to make it worth our time to put the ones we love on hold!

I hate the attitude "Well if you've got nothing better to do.." It's just other people thinking that your time is worth less than theirs.

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:35 PM   #20
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Exactly, Aiden!

I don't know why they can't see that knitting is an art....a craft....a worthy venture. What's WRONG with these people!

Oh well, that's just the way some people are, I guess. Their loss.

We can just relax, concentrate on our favorite yarn, nice needles, and pattern of choice, creating works of art for worthy admirers.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote