Old 07-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
KristiMetz
Knitting the Flap

Addng an edging to a scarf
I'm using Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk (aran weight) yarn to make myself the Connemara scarf, which I lurve.

However, I didn't bother to do the part for the edging as the suggest. So I need to figure something out because the scarf just jumps right into the cables and desn't look that "finished".

I was thinking of taking this Berroco Plush yarn (which I LURVE, it's so soft!), doubling it up, and adding an edging to each end of the scarf, about an inch or so on each end, I figure.

I was hoping someone could help me figure out how I could do this. And, if I decide it doesn't look so great after all, will I be able to take it off without stretching out or messing up the cables part of the scarf?

Specifically, would it be easiest to make an edging out of the Plush, and sew it on? Or shoul I try to pick up stitches on the alpaca silk scarf, and start knitting a few rows after that?

Any advice for me? I'm kindof winging it and I'm not a very experienced knitter so I could use some guidance. Guide me, o knitters!
KristiMetz is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-23-2006, 07:36 PM   #2
Angelia

Picking up stitches would be easier, or at least it would for me. And if the scarf ends up looking a bit wonky, blocking should help put the stitches back where they belong.

Guide me, o knitters!....love it! :rofling:
Old 07-23-2006, 07:39 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I think you could just pick up at the edges and knit what you want. If you decide you don't like it and take it out, there might be a bit of stretching where you had picked up the stitches, but that would just make it easier to pick up for a different edge. I think I'd pick up with the new yarn, so the 'seam' created by picking up the stitches would be a natural break.

I couldn't get the link to work for me, so I can't really see what the original looked like.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:34 PM   #4
KristiMetz
Knitting the Flap

Thanks for the help! I will give it a try by picking up stitches and see whether this looks as nice as I hope it will. :thinking:
KristiMetz is offline   Reply With Quote