Old 07-24-2006, 06:00 PM   #1
jsauer
Ribbing the Cuff

I messed up my basketweave
so... am knitting Woven Shell from the Feb-April 2006 Cast On. It is a basketweave stitch pattern worked over 8 rows. All was going well on the back until somehow I managed to get a checkerboard pattern for two pattern repeats right after binding off 5 stitches at the beginning of 2 rows which begin the armhole shaping. The pattern then has you decrease 1 stitch each side on the RS rows 5 times. Unfortunately I didn't discover my pattern goof until I was about to reach the last rows of the back side (shoulder shaping and binding off for the neck). I watched Amy's video on working a needle through the work back where I want to frog to but I'm wondering how to handle working the needle through those decreased stitches. Does anyone have any words or techniqes of wisdom?]
I thought I was doing so well. Boo hoo.
jsauer is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-24-2006, 06:20 PM   #2
AidanM
Turning the Heel

I've never done basketweave so I don't have much advice but you have all my sympathy! I've had to rip back a project I thought was going well too - it stinks!

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
jsauer
Ribbing the Cuff

thanks for commiserating with me. I think I'm going to take my chances and just frog it. OMG! It's at least 1/3 of the piece. WWHHHAAAAAA!
Old 07-24-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Having to frog that much stinks, but you'll be happy that you did it in the end.
Frog down to a row before you need to, then pop one stitch out at a time and slip your needle it. It's easier than trying to find a destination row, especially when the pattern switches from knits to purls.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:01 PM   #5
jsauer
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks, Ingrid. That's exactly what I did. Then I proceeded to try and rework the two repeats that were messed up. I got half way in and realized the SAME THING was happening! AAGGGHHH! The pattern goes over 86 stitches:

Row 1(WS): Purl
Row 2: K2, *P2, K2
Row 3: P2, *K2, P2
Row 4: Knit
Row 5: Purl
Row 6: P2, *K2, P2
Row 7: K2, *P2, K2
Row 8: Knit

(duh, you probably KNOW this is basket weave) Anyhow. At the armhole shaping you end on a wrong side (this means work that wrong side row...correct?) then bind off 5 stitches at the begginning of the next 2 rows. After that you work decreases 5 times on RS rows using K1, K2Tog at the beginning and continue to knit then SSK, K1 at the end of those rows. Are these decreases possibly messing up the pattern? It says to do them as I continue with the pattern yet that decrease direction says knit.
I'm headed to the LYS where I bought the yarn tomorrow as my teacher usually has a drop in time over the lunch hour for help with projects.
OY VEY!
I'll keep trying.

j.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:04 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

You probably should k, dec, and then continue to keep the pattern as set, whether its a purl or a knit, then end with a ssk, k. Sometimes they use 'knit' as a generic term, but want you to keep the pattern going.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 07-25-2006, 10:17 PM   #7
jsauer
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for the advice. That's what I figured, but I'm such a literal person - hence some abbreviations and short cuts leave me questioning my own intelligence.
When they say "ending on a WS row" that does mean do that row, doesn't it?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:19 PM   #8
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Yes, that's what it means.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 07-26-2006, 11:07 AM   #9
huvi
Casting On

I messed up my basketweave
Oh Boy I know exactly how you feel I just frogged about 16 rows of 135 st in basket weave pattern I'm doing the American Rose Capelet by Nicky Epstien its been adapted for a 12 yr old been trying to figure this out for while the problem is when I have to decrease on the ends the pattern changes so you must compensate finally my daughter made me a spread sheet on excel an its been great (except that I made a mistake in middle of a row )

I brought it to my LYS yesterday there was no way to fix besides froging UGH!!!! it didn't effect the whole pattern decrease but I would have noticed everytime I would see it .

This pattern is beautiful the yarn and color is great its just so frustrating.
I know how to knit since I was a kid but just picked it up about four months ago. This is my first REAL project and I'm determined to get it just right.

I don't know how this is going to help you just wanted to comiserate with you .

I'm also so excited that I can finally post some thing here without having to ask a Q. Everyone here is just so very nice makes me feel good to know your out there.
huvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:10 PM   #10
jsauer
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks, huvi! 135 stitches! ouch! Good luck with the capelet.

jenn