Old 07-30-2006, 11:21 AM   #1
AidanM
Turning the Heel

*psst* Pass it along..
Have any of you ever passed along some tip to another knitter you'd never met before and would never meet again?

Yesterday I was in what passes for a LYS around here and I scooched past this woman to get at some books. She was looking at bags and I said "Need a bag?" she said "No, not really, just looking." I said "Have you heard of knitpicks.com? They just came out with their own line of needles that are like Addi Turbos and they came out with their own knitting bag." her eyebrows went up and I knew she was hooked. I told her how they get their own yarns from Peru and how it was all inexpensive.
My last tip for her? "It's spellt k-n-i-t-p-i-c-k-s.com"

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-30-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
knitaddict
Turning the Heel

Sadly I've never met another knitter in public. :( :( The most I've experienced was a woman my mum's age who walked by and said "nice yarn" as I knitted in the doctor's office. I should go hang out at a lys more often.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
I tried to warn a woman who was stocking up on Homespun at Michaels. I asked her if she had ever used it, just to be diplomatic. She said she had and that she loved it, so I didn't go into my usual Homeshun rant.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
KnittyKitty
Knitting the Flap

I saw a woman in one of the craft stores here - she came in and askd one of the assistants where the "wool" was (everything here is "wool" even if it is acrylic - people don't seem to know that wool is one fiber - not an all encompassing description for any yarn they come across - anyways I digress LOL). So I perked up - could this be another knitter besides me here in Barbados? So she said it was for her daughters - she was going to teach them to knit for the summer. Anyways, I was going to suggest she get some better yarn as the ones here won't give a good finish but she wasn't really interested so I didn't enlighten her any further.
KnittyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:46 PM   #5
Julie
Instepping Out

A few weeks ago, while knitting during my DD's swimming lesson, I taught the director of the swimming program how to cable. About a half hour later, I got into a conversation with another knitter (who had eyed my felted bag) and referred her to Silver's Sock Class. :D
Old 07-30-2006, 02:00 PM   #6
Ellen Edwards
Working the Gusset

Aidan--I LOVE the word "scooched"--you're my kinda guy--

Yes--I have warned someone , as well, about HOMESPUN, the demon yarn of the decade, and I've told them about Jeff's WOnderland of Addi's (that REALLY got their attention) pointed them in this direction when they needed tips and videos, and I showed a nurse in the doctor's office how to turn a heel!! That really pleased me--cause socks always impress--but they're not really hard!!

But these clogs have kicked my a$$

OTN--Just socks right now. Not good at more than 1 thing at a time!
Ellen Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:28 PM   #7
want2knit
Knitting the Flap

Well, I just met someone yesterday for the first time, and they knit too! I was attending a party of my son's baseball team. We had all gathered together and were waiting to head to the ball field to watch a minor league play, when it started downpouring, thundering and lightning. Needless to say, we weren't going to walk to the game at that point! So as everyone moved inside and settled, I started talking to this woman and commented that I had asked my husband if I should bring my knitting with me (I can only tolerate watching BB for so long!), she looks at me and says "I brought mine!" I died laughing, told my husband (he just rolled his eyes and shook his head) and then we ended up chatting about knitting. She has been knitting since she was about 5 or 6, her mom taught her. She showed me the little baby cardigan she was working on, and it was beautiful. I ended up telling her about this site, and how I just started learning to knit, and the videos on here that are so helpful. She told me to check out marymaxim too for free patterns and stuff. Anyway, turns out this woman lives very close to me as our sons are in the same school district, so I have a feeling we'll be seeing more of each other. She told me to call her if I ever need a "knitting hotline"! I thought it was too cool. I never met another knitter in person! Anyway, that's my story.
Completed since June '06: The Amanda Hat, Urchin hat, Seaman's cap, Socks - Monkey (one done),Socks - Pretty Petals,Socks - modified version of Int'l Rib of Doom,Keyhole scarf,Socks for Sockintine Swap,Tychus - miserable failure,My So Called Scarf,Fetching,one sock from Silver's tutorial
I am want2knit on RAVELRY
want2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:22 PM   #8
Emeraldcutie
Knitting the Flap

I haven't met another knitter in my area yet. Most of my co-workers are students, and they like to admire my work, but none of them have tried it. Thats one thing I miss about my old place, we had a place called the coffee lodge, that was a really nice place to gather in comfy chairs and knit. I just started going one night a week to get out of the house, then someone seen me and started coming on the same night and it just kind of snowballed.
I tried that here but everyone is in such a rush that they don't even nod (theres big city living)..lol
So if there is anyone reading this in London, Ontario Canada or area, Iam looking to meet a knitting buddy, for coffee, pattern swapping and good old fashioned girl talk..
PM me
Emeraldcutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:40 PM   #9
cgd
1st Leg of the Journey

I just had to interject in here because y'all made me laugh about the Homespun :rofling: I bought some a few weeks back, thinking I'd make my mom a scarf. But it is impossible for me to work with! Thankfully, I only bought one skein.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:12 PM   #10
EssenceRose
Knitting the Flap

Sadly, I've never really met another knitter around here. I've tried organizing a stitch n' bitch in this area, but there isn't much interest and I'd have to drive into the next town to get to one.

The closest I've come was yesterday when I went into the yarn store (YES! I found one!!) and was chatting to guy behind the counter about why they didn't have addis turbo needles and he said he's been trying to convince his boss to get them in. LOL

On the hook! - Fan Bookmark Scarf , Friendship Doily, Fan Bookmark

Rantings of a Crazed Woman!

EssenceRose is offline   Reply With Quote