Old 07-29-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Stash size....what do you think?!
I've been reading a good bit around on the net about the size of his or her yarn stashes. This person is down-sizing and the next person is upsizing. I've been curious for some time now...what constitutes a "large" or "small" stash?
Now, without actually going through my stash storage I can think of around 300 hanks/skeins/balls of yarn that I have...off of the top of my head. I always thought this to be maybe a medium size stash of yarn...what do you think?!
I know we've batted this topic about here on the forum, but I don't know that we've ever said what we thought the "stash standards" were/are....I need to know...for some unknown reason....your thoughts?!

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-29-2006, 01:39 PM   #2
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
I have no idea whether it would be considered large or small....or whatever.

I think I have about that much yarn (if not more), but I always feel like it's not enough. :rollseyes:
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:04 PM   #3
skNYC
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to skNYC Send a message via Yahoo to skNYC
I have under 100 skeins/balls. I think it's a small stash. I think "size" is a relative term. You can always use the movie theatre food stand /starbucks/supermarket egg system, small=large, medium=extra large, large=jumbo.
skNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:08 PM   #4
Lieke
Working the Gusset

well, in my ears, this sounds huge, but then again, I don't have any stash, so it's really different for me.
Lieke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
AidanM
Turning the Heel

My stash fits into three bins plus some so I figure I have a medium-small stash. However, a lot of it is cheapy yarn that I'd like to get rid of to make room for new yarns. I've been shuttling off the yarns I've gotten from garage sales and such, but I feel wrong giving away whole skeins of Red Heart (Which I actually like)

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:54 PM   #6
mintdee
Working the Gusset

oooohhh rebecca color me jealous :P

My stash fits in a wicker basket next to my chair right now. Way small.

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. Aristotle

OTN:
sweater from hell for TJ
simple socks
mintdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 03:28 PM   #7
cozy
Knitting the Flap

Yes, I think it's relative. To me, my stash is average, but DH thinks it's HUGE, LOL. I don't have an exact number of balls (stop it!), but my stash no longer fits in my average size cedar chest--I now have stray balls/skeins in a couple of bags. But I've seen pics of some stashes that make mine seem positively tiny!

Knitting Addict since November '03
cozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:40 PM   #8
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Thank you...you all confirmed my beliefs...my stash isn't considered large as others have thought I am very much like Sandy...I don't have nearly enough :D

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:24 PM   #9
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,163 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
I must have a really little stash, about 6 balls. Where do y'all get so much yarn? Please tell me you buy it on sale.
I told my husband about the 300 balls and he said
I looked at goodwill yesterday and they didn't have anything. Is there a site online that tells you who has yarn for sale/garage sales maybe would be another place to look, just not sure how I'd know who has the yarn. Kinda like finding a needle in a haystack, right? :thinking:
Working on my sons sweater, he's 2 and it's the first thing I've attempted that's not a scarf or hat...tried an afghan but got discouraged because its sooo big.
jberry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:31 PM   #10
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
I have a rather small stash, by KH standards. Fifty or fewer skeins, I'd say. I have four sitting on my bed. :rofling: I've obtained at least half of it via some sort of free exchange, whether it be Freecycle or a donation from someone I know who doesn't use yarn anymore. The rest of it I bought, some of it even on sale!

I like having a stash so I can find projects to do whenever I run out of something to have on the needles.

Oh, and Aidan, that Red Heart you don't want to get rid of sounds perfect for an add-a-square afgan project. I'm still looking for a large acrylic stash to grab from somewhere so that I can make an afgan (I don't want to use any of my nicer stuff).

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote