Old 07-31-2006, 06:09 AM   #1
fornight
Casting On

Tarot Card Bag
I am trying to find a simple design for tarot card bag. I am a freshie knitter. This is going to be a birthday present for my friend who is a tarot card reader. I found one design but I don't understand its pattern explanation.

http://community.livejournal.com/knitting/6344702.html

CO 54 stitches, divide evenly across 3 needles.
-K1 P1 ribbing, until piece measures 1 inch long.
-Switch to stockinette stitch, increasing 6 stitches evenly along the first row. (60 stitches)
-Knit stockinette for 5 inches, piece should be 6 inches long in total.

Shape base of bag:
-(K2tog, k8, k2tog, k18) x 2.
-Knit 1 row.
-(k2tog, k6, k16) x 2.
-Knit 1 row.
-(k2tog, k4, k14) x2.

Why 3 needles? I know k means knit and P means purl but what is k2tog?

Why K6, k16 instead of just K22??? What's stockinette?
fornight is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-31-2006, 08:10 AM   #2
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
This bag is knit in the round, which means that you'd be working with double-pointed needles (which happen to be my favorite, but a lot of people dislike them). If this is one of your first projects, you can certainly knit it flat and then seam up the side. Stockinette stitch is knit on the right side, purl on the wrong side, or all knit stitches when working in the round. K2tog means to knit two stitches at the same time, to decrease into one stitch. As for the k6, k16, my guess is that it has to do with the way the stitches are distributed on the needles, but that's only my theory and I'd have to knit the bag to be sure.

Amy has videos for all of the techniques used in this project in her video sections. I'm too lazy to link them, though, sorry.

I hand-sewed a tarot card pouch out of velvet and satin, and it holds my cards beautifully and keeps them protected. What a wonderful gift for your friend.

HTH!

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
fornight
Casting On

Thank you so much! I guess I will need to experiment one to see how it goes. I don't think he will mind a simple one now. Hopefully I will master knitting better and give him a more elaborated one (with his business logo) for his xmas present. :XX:
fornight is offline   Reply With Quote