Old 07-31-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
jaspepper
Casting On

Moebius cast on

Is there an easy non-confusing way to do a Moebius Cast On? I have a pattern for a MCO handbag but the instructions aren't too clear. Would appreciate any help on this.
jaspepper is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-31-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

I just learned it in a class & though once you've 'got' it, it's rather simple, it ain't the easiest thing to explain...

I don't wanna be a killjoy, but you may wanna get one of Cat Bordhi's books. (Are there others that explain this technique??? Didn't it originate with Elizabeth Zimmerman?)

There are lots of pictures & pretty good explanations.

Basically you're grabbing a loop from above & below the coiled needles.

That's the best I can do... anyone else?

Diane

Recently Finished Projects: 2 felted mobius cat baskets, MANY Lace Washcloths, The Magic Scarf from HELL, 6 Knitted Lace XMas Balls in crochet thread, Lace XMas Ball in mohair, 4 Initialed Washcloths, 2 Lacy Soap Socks (1 knit, 1 crochet), 2 Seamless Rectangle Snuggles (one outside in, one inside out), XMas Tree Illusion Snuggle, 3 scarves for presents, Fisherman Knit Snuggle, Turkish Stitch String Bag, Wheelie Steering Wheel Cover, Moebius Cat Basket, 9 Snuggles, Preemie Hats, Sandy's (Felted) Cat Basket
dplantlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 03:13 AM   #3
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
I also have wanted to learn this cast-on but haven't been in love with any of Cat's books I've looked at so far, although it could have been just because I was cranky about feeling like I HAD to buy another book. Interestingly, though, when Interwave had their hurt sale, I looked up one of her books they had available for more info and found this review (excerpt, full review here):

Quote:
There's been a lot of buzz about the Moebius Cast On, this is what finally motivated me to buy this book. I was stunned to realize that this "special" cast on is nothing more than the invisible cast on worked with the circular needle's coil serving as the waste "yarn". My irritation stemmed in part from the fact that I used this technique for casting on a moebius scarf when this scarf first appeared on the web as a free pattern back in 1995 or 1996. The invisible cast on is in Mary Thomas's Knitting Book which was first published in the 1930s. Finally, Ms Bordhi gives credit to no one. Not to the originator of using a moebius as a knitted entity(Elizabeth Zimmermann) or to the originator of the moebius knitted from the center out.
I don't know if there is any truth in that quote at all, just found it interesting myself, but i *think* the 2nd method here is the "original" moebius cast-on mentioned in the review and sounds like what Diane was explaining too. It did make more sense to me, but I haven't tried it again with this method yet.

Good luck!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote