Old 08-01-2006, 11:47 PM   #1
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

KH Monthly Challenge.... AUGUST
TBA

(hehe)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-02-2006, 12:39 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
:P You can't lock ME out!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:10 AM   #3
Angelia

Originally Posted by Ingrid
:P You can't lock ME out!
Me either!....
Old 08-02-2006, 09:27 AM   #4
Andrea
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via MSN to Andrea

No chorus?
Houyhnhnms!
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
Angelia

All righty, ladies and gents, this month's challenge is a little bit different, starting with a new KAL leader for this month--ME!!

I challenge you to challenge yourselves by knitting the opposite way. What does this mean? Well....

Do you knit Conti (hold the working yarn in your left hand)? Then hold your yarn in your right hand, please--go English!

Do you knit English (hold the working yarn in your left hand)? Now's the time to try holding that working yarn in your left hand--go Conti!

The object of this KAL isn't to get you to change your knitting method. Rather, it's to get you to try a new knitting method. Studies have shown that doing repetitive tasks with the opposite hand gives the brain a mini workout and stimulates creativity, and we knitters loooooove creativity! So let's get those brains working!

"Um, what are we supposed to knit?" you ask. A simple swatch will do; just make it large enough to make the project worthwhile. A 4x4 inch swatch in stockinette will work, though a 6x6 inch swatch will work better--more stitches! (If you're feeling particularly brave, you can knit a fair-isle swatch, quite a workout indeed!)

Things to bear in mind: Your knitting may feel awkward at first, your stitches may look really wonky, and you may find yourself tempted to give up. Please don't! This KAL isn't about perfection--this is about challenging yourself by trying something new. Even if you have tried the opposite method before and failed, try giving it another go. Who knows, this time it just might 'click' for you!

If you're unsure how to hold your yarn for the opposite-way KAL, use Amy's videos. Here's the knit stitch, and Here's the purl stitch. Watch them over and over if need be; KAL with her, too, if that helps you!

Please share your FOs when you're done!
Old 08-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #6
knitaddict
Turning the Heel

I've been wanting to become more ambidextrous (sp?) with my knitting. I think it'll help me with Fair Isle, which is what my current WIP contains, so I'm off to watch the videos to learn how to hold the yarn in my left hand!!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 07:25 PM   #7
Angelia

Woo hoo!!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 07:52 PM   #8
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

We can all be SWINGERS
Ang, you are so inspiring and motivating and ENCOURAGING, and ..... uhhhh..... FREEING!

I knit Conti, so I'll be trying the English method.
:XX:
Old 08-02-2006, 08:27 PM   #9
jamadian75
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to jamadian75 Send a message via MSN to jamadian75
I'm totally IN!! (don't I say that alot??!)

I used both hands when doing a Fair Isle Hat recently and I'm completely sold on Conti expecially when doing Fair Isle, but I'm trained in English so I could still use some additional practice. What would we DO without Amy's videos? Seriously.

I'm thinking I'll try an easy garter stitch scarf knit horizontally. That would really give me good practice with the Knit stitch Conti-style, but I'll probably have to swatch something in Stockinette to force me to master that leftyliscious purling!

Hilde when I come to IL, I'm hoping I can watch you and any other ContiKnitters to get some good tips!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	fair_isle_winter_hat_-_sean.jpg
Views:	2950
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	30180  

On Zee Needles:
*Central Park Hoodie (KH KAL); *Sangria Sock #2 (for me!); Mystery project in Noro Iro; *Other UFO's which shall remain nameless

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
jamadian75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:07 PM   #10
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

omg you do NOT want to watch me purl. I confuse people. Seriously. I'm a total wierdo when it comes to purling. I am really FAST but it's because I hold my needles totally wierd. People in LYSs have looked at me all squinty going "Oh.... hmmm.... ah... oh I see...." :rollseyes: KellyK even said I was freaky the first time we met :-(