Inspired by Amber's Starburst
, I decided to jump in and do one of my own.
I'm using Knitpick's Merino Style in "Storm". I'm thinking it will be a nice sweater for Winter Solstice.
Anyhoo, I started this a couple of days ago, and am almost done with the starburst on the back. I remember reading Amber's account of how the starburst was off-center, and I couldn't figure out what she was talking about. But now I know
. The pattern is wrong.
If you were to follow the pattern as written, then then starburst is rotated off-center, so that it's no longer symmetrical from side-to-side. Last night I got almost to the part where you divide up the sweater into sections, when I realized just how the pattern was wacked.
I ended up ripping out a bunch because my anal-retentiveness would not put up with an asymmetrical starburst.
It's so frustrating to rip out stuff that isn't your fault!
In Round 27, you divide the round into 4 sections with markers, later becoming the top, bottom and 2 sides. This is where the pattern starts going bad. You can't have 4 equal sections and make the design work. So I ended up placing the 4 new markers where I thought they should go, with my round-starting marker at the center top. This results in the sides being slightly longer than the top/bottom, which is good because I want to make the sweater a bit longer anyway. So hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on out.
So if there's anyone out there making this thing, please join me. And if not, then I can just talk to myself and maybe I'll help someone out who makes this in the future.