Old 08-02-2006, 11:34 AM   #1
sugarbeth
Ribbing the Cuff

Anyone knitting Starburst?
Inspired by Amber's Starburst, I decided to jump in and do one of my own.

Knitpick's Pattern

I'm using Knitpick's Merino Style in "Storm". I'm thinking it will be a nice sweater for Winter Solstice.

Anyhoo, I started this a couple of days ago, and am almost done with the starburst on the back. I remember reading Amber's account of how the starburst was off-center, and I couldn't figure out what she was talking about. But now I know. The pattern is wrong.

If you were to follow the pattern as written, then then starburst is rotated off-center, so that it's no longer symmetrical from side-to-side. Last night I got almost to the part where you divide up the sweater into sections, when I realized just how the pattern was wacked.

I ended up ripping out a bunch because my anal-retentiveness would not put up with an asymmetrical starburst. It's so frustrating to rip out stuff that isn't your fault!

In Round 27, you divide the round into 4 sections with markers, later becoming the top, bottom and 2 sides. This is where the pattern starts going bad. You can't have 4 equal sections and make the design work. So I ended up placing the 4 new markers where I thought they should go, with my round-starting marker at the center top. This results in the sides being slightly longer than the top/bottom, which is good because I want to make the sweater a bit longer anyway. So hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on out.

So if there's anyone out there making this thing, please join me. And if not, then I can just talk to myself and maybe I'll help someone out who makes this in the future.
Saranac for DH in Knitpicks Main Line "Red Velvet Cake"
Starburst Sweater in Knitpicks Merino Style "Storm"
sugarbeth is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-02-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

WOW. Good for you for figuring it out! I love the starburst, but I don't like the overall look of the sweater (it's either the dropped sleeves, or the fact that it's the knitpicks model with the wierd chin that I avoid). This is a great sweater for our year of the sweater KAL, too!

Have you been able to chart/write your changes? Knitpicks might be interested in seeing them, since the pattern is incorrect. Surely other people have had the same problem.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:23 PM   #3
sugarbeth
Ribbing the Cuff

I wrote down what I did so far to fix it, but since I was working on a ripped out sweater, my original round marker might be off by a stitch. Next time I have my notes by the computer, I'll post my corrections here. I sent a note to Knitpicks telling them about the problem, and they said they'd pass my email to their pattern editor.

It's still fun, though. Never started a sweater in the middle of the back before! I don't think I've done this many yo's before, either.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:31 PM   #4
Amber
Working the Gusset

sugarbeth,

That's awesome that you figured out what was wrong with the pattern. Pattern errors are sooooo frustrating. Grrrr. I'm glad you let Knit Picks know.

It really is a fun pattern though, isn't it? I can't wait to see yours! I think it'll be gorgeous in Storm.

Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:16 PM   #5
sugarbeth
Ribbing the Cuff

Amber, you should send Knitpicks an email too - and your pics. Then they'd definitely take a harder look at the pattern. Your sweater is still gorgeous, though - it's the whole reason I'm knitting it.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #6
Amber
Working the Gusset

That's a great idea. I exchanged a couple emails with the designer (Kristin Omdahl) while I was knitting the sweater to clairify some things in the pattern, so I just went ahead and emailed her about it. Hopefully, with your email to Knit Picks and mine to Kristin, they will publish the corrections soon!

Old 08-06-2006, 04:08 AM   #7
sugarbeth
Ribbing the Cuff

Gah! This pattern!

So I've knitted up the fronts, adding an extra ten rows to the bottoms because I want it a bit longer. Then I also added ten rows to the bottom of the back. I'm going to leave them for the moment, and do everything else first before I tackle the bottom ruffle.

Um, the collar. Boy, are those instructions unnecessarily confusing and vague. It doesn't give you any idea of the spacing for picking up stitches, but the picked-up-stitch number really influences the depth of the collar. I've ripped this sucker out so much that the yarn is already looking worn around the neck. I'm figuring that I should only pick up the slipped stitches on the ends (making 1 pick up for every 2 rows). Also, it made things easier to pick up all the stitches first (having them on the needles already for when I need to pick up 4 at the end of each row) then to start I can just rejoin at the back. I'm forgoing the 8 rows knitted straight, as the collar is already going to be pretty wide, and the picture doesn't even seem to have those. I'll just start going into the bind-off phase as soon as I hit the bottom. And yeah...I guess I need to do a sloped bind off? I'll likely do more than 4 stitches at a time to keep the collar from getting too big.

Hopefully this collar will get done soon, then I'll post some progress pics.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:45 AM   #8
sugarbeth
Ribbing the Cuff

Ooooo...I hate this stupid collar! I should've left in my first attempt, because that looked much better than my current one. The first time, I picked up 1 front stitch on every row - and while that gave me a bizillion stitches, it was much neater looking than picking up only 1 stitch per two rows.

And I'm not liking this step-wise bind-off that the pattern calls for. Even with a sloping bind-off, it's still coming out crappy looking.

So I'm going to scrap it again, and come up with something I like better. Use some short rows or something. So I can bind off straight all around.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:31 AM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It usually seems to work best when picking up stitches to pick up 3 for every 4 rows. More than every other row, but not as many as for every row.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:53 AM   #10
Amber
Working the Gusset

Ah, well that explains why my collar came out too wide -- I picked up stitches for every row! Edit: Okay, it wasn't every row. I picked up for each slipped stitch, so every other row, I guess.

Good luck coming up with a solution!!!

ETA: I didn't have a problem with the stepped bind-off, but I slipped the first stitch of each grouping knit-wise (is that a sloped bind-off?). Anyway, I found that the collar stretches out quite a bit, so that the ribbing is almost flat, and then the bind-off looks pretty smooth.