Old 08-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
hedgehog
Knitting the Flap

Location: mind, heart and body in Oxford, England... and i follow The 'Grid on tour...
To spin or not to spin...
Maybe i need to learn how to spin... All signs are pointing to it.

1.) My mom has this old wheel from my great-great-grandmother's upstate NY farm that has sat in our house (as decoration) since i was a kid. No one in my family has spun since the 1800's. It needs refurbishing but i think it could easily be made functional. (it's beautiful too)

2.) I'm in awe of those who spin and create such beautiful yarn. Case in point, check out Silver's blog - she's made some gorgeous stuff!

3.) I have a good friend from another bulletin board i frequent who owns her own sheep/cattle ranch. Out of the blue she offered to send me some wool when they shear in Sept. Ack what would i do with it??

The truth is, i'm skeered to spin and dye my own yarn... I shouldn't be, but it seems like such a big undertaking.

*sigh* But the signs are there...

Do most people start with drop spinning? Is it hard?

-hh

On Needles: Bobby from Rowan's Tadpoles and Tiddlers in KP Shine Sport on indefinite hold...
Reading: The God of Small Things by A. Roy
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-06-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

Drop spindle spinning is a good introduction to spinning, but you most definitely do not have to master it before moving to a wheel, as they are very different motions. I prefer the wheel b/c it's easier for me than the drop spindle, and the drop spindle hurts my shoulder (too much arm raising). You might want to look for classes. The class I took taught us spindle spinning, wheel spinning, how to shop for a fleece, how to process the fleece, all that jazz. I buy what feels soft

As a spinner, I prefer my wool/fibers to be completely processed before I get them. I have no interest in cleaning, combing and carding the wool before I can do anything with it. Some people really enjoy that piece, but I find it too much work when I have a hard enough time trying to fit spinning into my routine.

But I love to spin! I haven't made anything useful, but I find it incredibly relaxing (when it goes well). I love feeling the fiber run through my fingers and onto the wheel.

Good luck!

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
Julie
Instepping Out

Oh goodness, if you have a wheel that you could make functional, I say go for it

I've only used a spindle, 'cause I don't foresee having the cash to get a wheel any time soon (too many things on the to-buy and to-fix lists :rollseyes: ) At first it was a bit cumbresome but now I'm really enjoying it. A lot. This week I spun 200 yards of yarn from 6 oz of fiber I got at the county fair last weekend. I find it to be really relaxing and I really just enjoy the feel of it -- and it's so amazing to me that on Saturday I had a big ball of fluff, and now I have a bunch of yarn!

I don't think I'll ever spin more than I knit, but it is a cool complementary skill to have. Like Wendie, I have noooo desire to clean fleeece. Give it to me soft and smooth and ready to spin. :D