Old 08-02-2006, 11:47 PM   #11
knitaddict
Turning the Heel

We use pretty much whichever clumping litter is on sale. I've been wanting to try those Crystals for some time, though. Maybe I will now.

Here's a tip that our old vet suggested to us....

To cut down on smell and "accidents" try having one more box than you have cats, and spread them through your house if possible. We don't do that part because, frankly, there's only one place in my matchbox house that a litter box will fit. But we do have 2 litter boxes for our one cat - about 5 feet apart in the basement. We still scoop and change it the same amount as before, but it really doesn't smell as much as before and Melody doesn't "miss" the box any longer. Interestingly enough, she uses one for peeing and one for pooping. rofl

Our old vet also suggested looking into a lower lipped box the older your cat(s) get as it can be hard for them to get into some of the taller ones. We had a 12 yo cat at the time and he was *constantly* going outside of the box. As soon as we got a short box that stopped completely.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-03-2006, 12:26 AM   #12
Friskums

I can't remember what it was called, but I loved the stuff I got at Wal-mart.

It was white, and really really light. It came in a plastic container and smelled like oranges.

It dehydrates the poo, and even though I lived in a tiny tiny one bedroom house with 3 cats I couldn't smell anything (except right after they pooed. That -always- stinks.)

I think it was like 9 bucks for the container, but it would last my 3 cats for about a month. I would pour the whole thing into the box and then just scoop it daily and mix the litter stuff around.

I'd also just use the container to dispose of the poo and once the litter was all dirty, put it back in the container and that's all the clean up I had with it.

I think it was some sort of clay or something. I can't remember now. But I love it. And once I get my kitties, I'll definitely be using it again.

Damn, I wish I could remember what it was called though....
Old 08-03-2006, 12:35 AM   #13
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
I use Fresh Step Scoop with my Litter Maid automatic litter box. I love it. Automatic is the way to go! I spend so much less time with my litter box.

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:00 AM   #14
EssenceRose
Knitting the Flap

I also swear by the cat crystals!! Those things work better than any other cat litter I've ever tried. I have two cats and one kitten (so you can imagine the amount of cat poo -- LOL ) and I have tried some of the most expensive cat litters out there. The crystals work the best and I'll never go back to using another litter again.

On the hook! - Fan Bookmark Scarf , Friendship Doily, Fan Bookmark

Rantings of a Crazed Woman!

EssenceRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:00 AM   #15
orcoastknitter
Turning the Heel

I use Costco's brand kitty litter along with the A&H litter box deodorizer sprinkle stuff. Fortunately during the summer months, all three of mine like to use the great outdoors as their ltter box and use the litter box at night if they need it. My little baby girl Cookie loves to dig in her litter box. I swear she is digging to China. I have to get up and shake the box for her to stop at 3 AM!!! However my male cat has been using my towels as his personal litter box

I spoke to one of the ladies at our local pet store and she suggested that I try using Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract cat litter. I have bought two bags, I guess to see if that would help solve my cat's problem, I should take them out of the trunk of my car.
orcoastknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:34 AM   #16
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
We use tidy cat too.. and never had any problems with it and clumping.. I use the mulit although I only have one cat .. I also have two litter boxes set up for him.. that way if for some reason one day I don't get to cleaning it he will use the other till mommy does

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:21 AM   #17
hedgehog
Knitting the Flap

Location: mind, heart and body in Oxford, England... and i follow The 'Grid on tour...
We use Fresh Step scoopable which works fine but i HATE the strong smell of it.. It's sooooooo perfume-y that the smell of cat litter clings to my clothes long after i have scooped the litter. ICK! And i have to wear a mask when scooping because i think i'm allergic to that litter perfume (not because of the cat waste smell) - sometimes the dust from the litter can make me vomit if i breathe it in... Not good.

Too bad the cats like it... i can't stand it.

Oh and i hadn't heard about the old cats not liking the taller pans.. My old geezer (who's still hanging in there, btw) has a new aversion to using the cat pans... Luckily his new "pooping ground" is an unfinished basement so it's easy to clean and bleach...

-hh

On Needles: Bobby from Rowan's Tadpoles and Tiddlers in KP Shine Sport on indefinite hold...
Reading: The God of Small Things by A. Roy
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:24 AM   #18
mulene
Working the Gusset

I've been using a tesco own brand clay recently. Missy hates it and it does seem to smell more than the crystals. I prefer the crystals I think.

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:51 AM   #19
betweenshades
Ribbing the Cuff

Love Fresh Step! I really think it clumps better than A&H. I have 3 cats, so I definatly think it holds up.

does anyone else think it's ironic that I'm procrastinating scooping the litter by talking about litter?

that goes for yarnaholics as well.
betweenshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:32 PM   #20
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,782 Times in 7,145 Posts
I only use Fresh Step or Scoop Away and always buy it at Target.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote