Old 08-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #1
hillerkim
1st Leg of the Journey

Changing pattern from flat to round
Hi all!

I have found a tank pattern I would love to try but the pattern is knit in 2 seperate pieces and I'd like to try it in the round to eliminate the seams.

How would I go about doing this?

I'm a big chicken when it comes to winging things, especially since this is my first "wearable" work for myself. I'd like it to be presentable.

Thanks a ton!

Kim

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-03-2006, 11:03 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Usually a flat pattern has extra stitches as part of the pattern to allow for seaming. Subtract one stitch from each end of each piece--so that would be 4 total, and then just cast on the remaining stitches for knitting in the round.

If there is a pattern stitch, remember that you're always knitting on the front, so any wrong side directions have to be reversed--in stitch and in direction, so if you have to purl the wrong side flat, you knit it if it's in the round.

When you get to the armholes, then just separate the front from the back and knit them separately.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
hillerkim
1st Leg of the Journey

Oh thank you! That sounds easy enough. I think I can manage that.

Thanks for the help. I hope you don't mind if I pop in again and ask more questions if I get stuck in the middle of the project. There is a little lace pattern in it and it is knit & purl all the way through.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:21 AM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

The right side of the lace panel will be exactly the same. If the wrong side is all purl for knitting flat, then you just have to knit and you'll be set. If it's a combination of knit and purl on the back, then you'd do yourself a favor to write out the wrong side pattern backwards, reversing the stitches from knit to purl and vice versa. The only problem I see is if there are increases or decreases on the wrong side. Those would need some experimenting to get them oriented correctly. If I see a pattern that has lots of 'stuff' on the wrong side, I haven't even attempted it in the round.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 08-03-2006, 11:25 AM   #5
hillerkim
1st Leg of the Journey

I'll have to look at the pattern closer. I just skimmed it real quick to make sure I could handle it without screwing it up too badly. :D

Thanks for the tips!

Have a great day! Is is still stifling out your way? I"m in WI and we finally broke the heat wave about 9 last night. The humidity absolutely was horrid!

Stay cool!

Kim
Old 08-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

It will be hot again today, but ONLY in the high 90's. :rollseyes: The heat index is already above 100. It feels like soup outside.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 08-03-2006, 11:32 AM   #7
hillerkim
1st Leg of the Journey

Blah! What I didn't like is going outside in the evening and having it feel like a swamp. Yuck! Great weather for the mosquitos.

I'm spoiled too. I'm in A/C all day and then when I have to leave it's like walking into a brick wall.

Well, hang in there, the cool fronts coming your way. :D

Stay cool!
Old 08-03-2006, 09:20 PM   #8
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,135 Times in 706 Posts
Hope this helps scroll down there are three parts Taken verbatum from http://www.socknitters.com/phpBB2/vi...0472ebdf4c43fc

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:25 AM   #9
hillerkim
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks Julie! Just the little bit I skimmed will be very helpful!

Someone mentioned in one of my other posts that the pattern I found and the yarn I have may not work too well together so I'm going to have to figure something else out.

Blah, I hate thinking so hard so early in the morning. :D

Have a great day!

Kim