Old 08-05-2006, 01:07 PM   #1
ElfynFyre
Casting On

Sweater pattern help~child's sweater~
Hi All,

I found this child's pattern last night under the free patterns here and it took me to this site: http://margarethubertoriginals.com/newpage1.htm I looked over the pattern and it looked so easy, and I still think it is but I'm having a hard time understanding part of it. This is my first sweater and I'm really excited. Here is the pattern and I'm doing the size 6.

Starting at sleeve edge, cast on 38 sts. Work in garter st for 7 1/2 inches. At the beginning of the next 2 rows cast on 33sts., work in garter st for 10 more rows. Next row, knit 5, purl 28, knit 38, purl 28, knit 5. Next row, knit all across row. Repeat the last 2 rows, twice more. Now, knit every row for 6 rows. "Next row (divide for neck opening), knit 50 st, join new ball of yarn, bind off next 4sts, work remaining 50. Working both sides at once, each on a seperate ball of yarn, keeping 5 sts. at bottom of edges in garter st, center sts in stockinette st, and neck edges in garter st, work for 6 3/4 inches MORE, ending on a wrong side row."

Hopefully the part I'm having problems with is in Italics if not I put it in " ". Could someone please explain this to me? It feels like it's right there in my head but I can't reach it...grrr...

Thank you so much!! You all are so wonderful and I can't believe how many hours I can read through all your posts here, I think I spent 3 hours yesterday! lol

April in SC
ElfynFyre is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-05-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
This sweater is knit from sleeve edge to sleeve edge. At some point, you need to leave a hole for the head, right?

So you work from one sleeve edge, across to where you increase for the body, knit the section that includes the shoulder. Now you need a hole.

So you'll knit up the back to the neck, then use a new ball of yarn to knit down the front. You'll be knitting the back and front separately to allow for the head space, and when you get to the other shoulder, you'll reconnect.

Is that clear enough?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:52 PM   #3
ElfynFyre
Casting On

Originally Posted by Ingrid
This sweater is knit from sleeve edge to sleeve edge. At some point, you need to leave a hole for the head, right?

So you work from one sleeve edge, across to where you increase for the body, knit the section that includes the shoulder. Now you need a hole.

So you'll knit up the back to the neck, then use a new ball of yarn to knit down the front. You'll be knitting the back and front separately to allow for the head space, and when you get to the other shoulder, you'll reconnect.
Is that clear enough?
That did help some, I get the concept but my brain is not working around how it should look in my head so I can do it..and I guess I should have been more technical in my questions. :D

Here is the part of the pattern again: "Next row (divide for neck opening), knit 50 st, join new ball of yarn, bind off next 4sts, work remaining 50. Working both sides at once, each on a seperate ball of yarn, keeping 5 sts. at bottom of edges in garter st, center sts in stockinette st, and neck edges in garter st, work for 6 3/4 inches MORE, ending on a wrong side row."

So here is my questions: I can knit the first 50, I got that, but how will I join the second ball of yarn and how do I bind off the next 4sts? I can work the second 50 sts once I get that figured out and I think I get working both sides at once off of 2 different balls but on same needle but what about the 5 sts at bottom, would that be my last 5 sts that I would do as garter? and then it states to do the center sts in stockinette st and the neck edges in garter st but it doesn't say how many sitches for either of those? And I am really one that needs the numbers, no guessing works on my part! LOL

Here is the full pattern in case you need it:

Quote:
This super easy garment is made in one piece, starting at one sleeve cuff and working your way over. The only finishing required is sewing the underarm seams.

Materials: 8 ounces of knitting worsted weight yarn

1 pair knitting needles size 10 Gauge 15 sts + 4 inches

Sizes are for 6)

Starting at sleeve edge, cast on 38 sts. Work in garter st (knit every row) for 7 inches. At the beginning of the next 2 rows cast on 33 sts., work in garter st for 10 more rows. Next row, knit 5, purl 28 knit 38, purl 28, knit 5. Next row, knit all across row. Repeat the last 2 rows, twice more. Now, knit every row for 6 rows. Next row (divide for neck opening), knit 50, join new ball of yarn, bind off next 4 sts, work rem 50. Working both sides at once, each on a separate ball of yarn, keeping 5 sts at bottom edges in garter st, center sts in stockinette st (k 1 row, p 1 row), and neck edges in garter st, work for 4 (5 , 6 ) inches MORE, ending on a wrong side row. Next row, knit all sts to neck opening, cast on 4 sts, join as one piece again and continue knitting on other side. Work 6 rows garter st. then 6 rows keeping Garter st at ends and yoke 38 sts , and center sts in st st. Continue in this manner working to correspond to other side, BINDING off 33 sts instead of casting on. 38 sts. Work garter st for 6 , (7, 7 ) Bind off.

Finishing: Sew both underarm seams
Do not block
Thanks for all your help,

April in SC
ElfynFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:29 AM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
When you get to the neck opening, just drop the strand you're working with and use a new strand to bind off the 4 stitches. Don't worry about how to attach it. Just start using it. The fact that the first 4 stitches are bound off will secure it.

The 'bottom' stitches in this case are the first 5 and last 5 stitches on your needles.

At this point, my suggestion is to start the sweater. Things such as bottom and neck stitches become so much more obvious when they're right in front of you. It's good to read a pattern before hand, but if you try to understand exactly what's happening, it gets confusing.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:38 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by ElfynFyre
Here is the part of the pattern again: "Next row (divide for neck opening), knit 50 st, join new ball of yarn, bind off next 4sts, work remaining 50. Working both sides at once, each on a seperate ball of yarn, keeping 5 sts. at bottom of edges in garter st, center sts in stockinette st, and neck edges in garter st, work for 6 3/4 inches MORE, ending on a wrong side row."

So here is my questions: I can knit the first 50, I got that, but how will I join the second ball of yarn and how do I bind off the next 4sts? I can work the second 50 sts once I get that figured out and I think I get working both sides at once off of 2 different balls but on same needle but what about the 5 sts at bottom, would that be my last 5 sts that I would do as garter? and then it states to do the center sts in stockinette st and the neck edges in garter st but it doesn't say how many sitches for either of those? And I am really one that needs the numbers, no guessing works on my part! LOL

April in SC
Okaaayyyy. There's really no guessing here. The 5 garter stitches at the bottom, are those on each end of the rows (which are the bottom edge of the front and back). You'll see how it looks when you get to that point, just continue on with it. BO the 4 stitches the same way you do at the end of a piece. The center sts in stockinette are all the sts in the row except for the 5 sts on each end which are in garter, and the neck edges which are in a 5 st garter pattern too. As Ingrid said, just *do* it instead of trying to visualize it in your head, and it'll make sense to you by the time you get there. Many knitters overthink a pattern, but if they just follow the directions as they get to each part, it's all written out what they need to do.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote