Old 08-06-2006, 11:33 PM   #1
janie
Ribbing the Cuff

Purchasing yarn online or through ebay & other silly que
My DH & I were surfing the net tonight. He found some bulk yarn on ebay for cheap - wool for the felting purse DD fanatic. He also found Knit pics. Has anyone purchased wool or other yarns online?

I'm a begginner - at best. My daughter is well into intermediate. We have one local yarn store (aside from the chains - walmart & micheals). The local is so darn expensive that I can't justify the $$$.

Also - I'm going to try my hand at dishcloths (to wash with) but don't know what type of yarn to purchase for those and have yet to find a pattern I love!

DD wants to do a craft store with her bags & purses in November. I figured I'd plug out a few scarves & some simplier things.

Being a lefty knitter - I'm only as far as knit, purl & drop-stitch.

jane
janie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-07-2006, 12:05 AM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
knitpicks is a sponsor here and is well loved by many for their great prices and good yarn, needles, and other goodies. if you purchase through the link on this site Amy gets a kick back to help keep us in bandwidth! I have a shopping cart waiting for me to hit the button right now even.

I have purchased some yarn on ebay but it was well known brands or stuff that just looked too good to pass up. i am careful about who i buy from but that goes for any ebay purchase.

Hobby Lobby has Sugar n Cream on sale this week for 99 cents. perfect for dishclothes. i have to stay away cuz i buy it for it's cheap price and THEN remember that i don't like knitting dish clothes...lol. that's just me though. i think most people around here do like them...especially for the ability to test out new stitch patterns and such with them.

umm....i think that is all the input i have. :D
Old 08-07-2006, 12:26 AM   #3
janie
Ribbing the Cuff

Bummer, we don't have a Hobby Lobby!

I need a simple dish cloth pattern - as I'm still a beginner!!!

Thanks for the info on knit picks.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:29 AM   #4
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
lots and lots of dish cloth patterns here. and even if there are things about it you don't understand, there are lots of people (and of course videos) to help you figure it out!
Old 08-07-2006, 08:36 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You can find sugar and cream at Michael's or JoAnn's or Peaches and cream at Walmart. They're the best for making dishclothes and aren't too bad for summer tops. They get softer with washing.

Knit picks has wonderful yarns and also check out elann.com. They have name brands discounted and their own brand is very inexpensive which you find by clicking on the Mill to You button on the left side of the front page.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:37 AM   #6
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

Michael's had Sugar n Cream for $1.00 a ball when I was last in there about a week ago. It was on one of the end aisle displays.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:46 AM   #7
Nikki
Knitting the Flap

Hi Julia
I've never purchased yarn from Ebay, and I don't think I ever will. Too many wonderful online stores I guess. Knit Picks is evil, . Just kidding, they are so wonderful my computer goes there by itself and buys things. Surely it's not me. They have a great new needle set and Shine is a wonderful yarn. Lots of people use the WOA yarn for felting projects too. I started with dishcloths, good way to learn lots of stitches.
Nikki, another lefty
Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:47 AM   #8
jamiejeans
Knitting the Flap

Re: Purchasing yarn online or through ebay & other silly
Originally Posted by janie

Being a lefty knitter - I'm only as far as knit, purl & drop-stitch.

jane
Being a "lefty" knitter is not a handicap. I am a lefty. I knit English style (yarn in my right hand). I can knit as fast and have learned as quickly as any righty. So don't sell yourself short! And, since you knit and purl... you can essentially do everything else!

I have purchased and sold yarn on ebay. My experiences have been good thus far. With ebay, I never pay more than what I can get it for, including shipping, on www.yarnmarket.com. I find there prices pretty good.

Check out my neglected blog for finished objects and other humors:
www.squawkergirl.blogspot.com

My website: http://jamiejeanjewelry.com
MY ETSY:
http://jamiejeanjewelry.etsy.com
jamiejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:11 AM   #9
JLC
Instepping Out

Re: Purchasing yarn online or through ebay & other silly
Originally Posted by jamiejeans

Being a "lefty" knitter is not a handicap. I am a lefty. I knit English style (yarn in my right hand). I can knit as fast and have learned as quickly as any righty. So don't sell yourself short! And, since you knit and purl... you can essentially do everything else!
What she said!! I'm also a leftie and I knit English style. Just keep at it and you'll be knitting like crazy in no time!
JLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:43 AM   #10
janie
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks everyone! I found the dishclothes - Oh My, there are some fancy dishcloths there. I think I need a knitting dictionary

I knit off of my right needle, I hold the yarn and working needle in my left hand. I've tried it right handed so many times & its the most awkward, frustrating thing I've ever done! So I stick to scarves that I can just make my own pattern up, then I don't have to try to read a pattern backwards!

jane

Finished one poncho
Finished one felted ugly purse/bag
Working on dishclothes to get my stitches down!