Old 08-11-2006, 07:20 AM   #1
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

Any help with Veil Stitch? or perhaps...
Quote:
Barbara G. Walker's Treasury of Knitting Stitches (the first of 3 volumes)? Her directions for Veil Stitch, on P. 165, seem clearer to me than the ones you used, and her illustration shows a much neater and more even result.
a scan of these directions?

I'd like to try it again with DK weight & size 17 needles, as that might more closely approximate going from crochet thread to size 8 needles...

Has anyone here tried this stitch?

I gave it a go last night with some worsted weight yarn & size 10 needles, and though I *do* get a very lacy open stitch, it doesn't look exactly like the picture on the pattern stitch page.

There just seem to be too many ways to interpret the instructions <sigh> again...I tried it two different ways already...

Any help would be appreciated.

Diane

P.S. I LOVE all the new emoticons!!!

Recently Finished Projects: 2 felted mobius cat baskets, MANY Lace Washcloths, The Magic Scarf from HELL, 6 Knitted Lace XMas Balls in crochet thread, Lace XMas Ball in mohair, 4 Initialed Washcloths, 2 Lacy Soap Socks (1 knit, 1 crochet), 2 Seamless Rectangle Snuggles (one outside in, one inside out), XMas Tree Illusion Snuggle, 3 scarves for presents, Fisherman Knit Snuggle, Turkish Stitch String Bag, Wheelie Steering Wheel Cover, Moebius Cat Basket, 9 Snuggles, Preemie Hats, Sandy's (Felted) Cat Basket
dplantlady is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
knitasha
Turning the Heel

Knitted lace tends to look pretty miserable until it's blocked.

Make a swatch of the veil stitch (if you haven't already),
dampen it thoroughly, pin the edges to a cushion, mattress or carpet and let it dry thoroughly. Really stretch it out. It should come out looking a whole lot better.

If you found the directions ambiguous, it sometimes helps to try another writer's version. I'd recommend Barbara G. Walker's Treasury of Knitting Stitches (the first of 3 volumes)? Her directions for Veil Stitch, on P. 165, seem clearer to me than the ones you used, and her illustration shows a much neater and more even result.
knitasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:06 PM   #3
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

Well,

I think I may've solved this, not sure.

With these instructions, I think I've basically figured out that you're making a "figure 8" with the yarn around the two needles. Anyone else wanna give it a try and see if you agree?

It's really kinda cool, and I think it would be a great stitch for a lacy-looking scarf.

A VERY cool site by the way...that I found by perusing the posts on this site...which is one of the BEST features of this site. So much knowledge & websurfing combined in one place

And I think I've just died & gone to heaven...knittingfool has 960pattern stitches on that site...that oughta keep me busy for quite awhile!

Diane

Recently Finished Projects: 2 felted mobius cat baskets, MANY Lace Washcloths, The Magic Scarf from HELL, 6 Knitted Lace XMas Balls in crochet thread, Lace XMas Ball in mohair, 4 Initialed Washcloths, 2 Lacy Soap Socks (1 knit, 1 crochet), 2 Seamless Rectangle Snuggles (one outside in, one inside out), XMas Tree Illusion Snuggle, 3 scarves for presents, Fisherman Knit Snuggle, Turkish Stitch String Bag, Wheelie Steering Wheel Cover, Moebius Cat Basket, 9 Snuggles, Preemie Hats, Sandy's (Felted) Cat Basket
dplantlady is offline   Reply With Quote