Old 08-15-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
Detergent for baby blanket (mostly acrylic)
Ok, so, here's my silly question for this week. I've lost my mind for serious, so forgive me.

I need to wash a baby blanket before presenting it as a gift. Is baby laundry soap necessary or would regular detergent be okay or should I go with Eucalan? I'm assuming the baby detergent thing has something to do with sensitive skin, so that kind of rules out Eucalan, I would think, too... What about adding a tiny drop of Borax to the wash just to brighten things up a bit?

AND since I'm writing, this is the first time I've washed a knit blanket... for a baby size, would you use a garment bag to protect it or just the small washer load?

It's that blankie in the Sirdar Chatterbox and Tiny Tots, one is 90% acrylic 10% poly, and the other is 43% nylon, 58% acrylic, if that helps.

Thanks bunches!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-15-2006, 11:27 AM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

I have kids and I just use regular detergent on everything. Knit items and all. I'd put a knit blanket on a wash cycle for delicates/knits, though. You are right about baby detergent being used because their skin can be more sensitive, so if that's an issue for the baby you knitted it for, you might want to go that route. Sorry if I'm not much help.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
no, that's lots of help, thank you!!!! really, when i think about it, i think the mom will be able to tell it's washed and probably even recognize not in baby detergent if i don't use it, so if she feels it necessary to rewash it, i'm sure she will. but when i think about it more now that i've said that, i don't think most mom's wash their own clothes or skin in baby soaps, and they rub up against the little ones all the time.... i could be wrong in that. i'm sure if there was an obvious skin issue, that might not be the case, but just in general. call me cheap, but I was just really wanting to avoid spending !!!$7!!!!! on some Dreft. What in heck happened to detergent prices?!?!?!?! Lordie!

Thanks again!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
Old 08-15-2006, 11:42 AM   #4
projectgal
1st Leg of the Journey

My kids and husband have really sensitive skin. For the first baby, I was brainwashed to use Dreft. Second baby I used a "Free" detergent such as All Free or Tide Free (or Costco equivalent). No problems, much cheaper and I could use it for the whole family

In my experience, if I don't use the dye-free/scent-free detergents, my guys (husband included) break out in a rash.

projectgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:57 AM   #5
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Just an idea, you know how you can buy travel sized bottles of shampoo and that sort of stuff....I wonder if you can find travel/sample sized packages of detergent anywhere?? Drug store, maybe?
Old 08-15-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

knitqueen, i was thinking and hoping that too, but no luck yet. that would be PERFECT.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:20 PM   #7
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Another thought (or two!).....I wonder if laundromats provide or sell small quantities of various detergents??

OR, I'm wondering if it would be completely distasteful to give the gift as is, along with a note with washing instructions because you are unsure of her washing habits??
Old 08-15-2006, 12:36 PM   #8
jhelanee
Turning the Heel

I think that washing it with whatever detergent you regularly use will be fine. A dye/perfume free kind would be ideal, but I wouldn't make a special purchase just for this one use. There is a high likelyhood that if she is concerned about the detergent used for her baby's stuff the recipient will want to wash everything she receives herself before using it anyway. So I would give it a wash to make it nice and pretty for gifting, and the include washing instructions - because if she doesn't want to wash it right away, it will certainly end up with something on it and need a wash once it is in use!

Recently finished: DH's small-gauge sweater; Secret of the Stole ii - "Savannah"; BSJ (well the knitting anyway)
On Needles: socks; Odessa (from Magknits)

jhelanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:37 PM   #9
gimmesanity
Turning the Heel

I agree with jhelanee, wash it in your own detergent and if the mom wants to wash it again, then let her do it.

I'm sure she's received tons of clothes from other people. All that needs to be washed before putting it on the baby. What's another blanket added to the bunch going to do? Just add instructions so she knows that it's OK to wash and dry it.

My Knitting/Reading/Running/Rambling Blog
gimmesanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:45 PM   #10
Silver
Instepping Out

I think it's fine to wash it in your own detergent too. It's better than not washing it, and mom will probably wash it again if it's that important to her anyway.

But, IMO, a box of Dreft detergent is part of a knitter's equipment. I have a box put away in the laundry room for just such an occaision. But then, I knit baby gifts if I hear that someone *might* be pregnant. LOL

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote