Old 08-16-2006, 09:05 PM   #1
knitmonster
Ribbing the Cuff

Math... ug...HELP!
Ok, I need help checking my math here... I'm knitting a simple hat - basically, it's cast on 56 stitches, knit for 9.5 inches, decrease (k6 ktog). But I'm not using the same yarn/needle combo. So I made a gauge square... my first! I hate checking gauge - I know I should just embrace it, but it just seems like a waste of time and yarn. Anyway... so the pattern's gauge is 4stiches=1inch. My gauge is 20stitches=1inch...

So... I should cast on 280 (gasp!) rather then the 56 the pattern calls for, right?

Also, will my decreasing stay the same... can I still wait until 9.5 inches of the hat is done and then start the decreasing? Or is this hat going to be so massive that I have to start decreasing right away.

I'm not really sure why I'm making this so hard on myself... the hat is going to match a scarf I just finished so I want to use the same yarn, and the needles are just the good ones I like.

Please help!
knitmonster is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-16-2006, 09:46 PM   #2
Renoah
1st Leg of the Journey

20 stitches to the inch? That's awfully tiny. What yarn and needle size are you using? (Are you sure you're not doing wraps per inch, or maybe you have 20 stitches over 4 inches or something? And if you just finished the scarf with the same yarn and needles, couldn't you just have checked the gauge on the scarf?)

Otherwise, your math looks right to me- I believe you should be able to start the decreases in the same place, because even though you're doing more decreases, each decrease will take off less width, so it should all work out.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:57 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
20 stitches per inch? Are you knitting with lace weight on tiny needles? I think the most per inch I've ever knit is 8 per inch--fingering weight on size 3.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:06 AM   #4
brownishcoat
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to brownishcoat Send a message via Yahoo to brownishcoat Send a message via Skype™ to brownishcoat
If the yarn IS that tiny, it could be doubled and increasing about 4-5 needle sizes would put you closer to the ballpark.

->"You say tomato, I say pimp." --Michael Westen, Burn Notice<-
brownishcoat is offline   Reply With Quote