Old 08-18-2006, 01:47 PM   #1
cozy
Knitting the Flap

How social are you?
As far as knitting goes, do you prefer to knit alone or with others? I have yet to go to any knit-ins because I'm afraid I'd get so little knitting done--I would have to have the simplest project imaginable to knit around others talking. Or is that the point?

Knitting Addict since November '03
cozy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-18-2006, 02:05 PM   #2
brownishcoat
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to brownishcoat Send a message via Yahoo to brownishcoat Send a message via Skype™ to brownishcoat
My mom and I knit together when we visit. I don't know any other knitters offline. I have offered to teach some folks, though.

->"You say tomato, I say pimp." --Michael Westen, Burn Notice<-
brownishcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:11 PM   #3
sfavereau
Knitting the Flap

OMG! Knitting "socially" is the best! I get way more done at home alone, but that's not the point at all. You might not even get one stitch done, but the fun of being with other fiber lovers and knitters is great! Besides, if you are stuck or just have some questions, knit group is the best. Someone is bound to have run across the same problem as you.

I go to knit group 2x a week. On Wednesday mornings for 2 hours and on Saturday afternoons for 2+ hours. I hate missing knit group even though I don't really get much done.

Try it! I promise you won't regret it. You'll meet amazing people! Some of my good friends are people I met through knit group.

My blog
sfavereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
knitaddict
Turning the Heel

I only know one other knitter and we don't get together very often. :( In fact, we've only knitted together once since we both learned (she took up her needles shortly after I taught myself). I wish that we lived closer to one another and that life would slow down more so that we could get together more often. That's why I want to start a knitting group here on base... I want that social experience of being with other knitters.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

I've only knitted once with the ladies in IL and never with anyone else. It was a lot of fun but I did have a fairly simple project with me - I don't think I could have accomplished ANYTHING that required concentration. I usually have a project OTN that is simple and doesn't require too much brain effort.

I think Stephanie is right - it is more about being social then getting any knitting done. The help would be wonderful too if you needed it. I don't do well meeting new people which is why I haven't tried it yet, but it would be nice to know some local knitters.

I wish I lived near you - we could knit and chat!
sara_jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:39 PM   #6
jdee
Working the Gusset

Our town is small, and we don't have a LYS, but there is a craft store in our downtown square, and the lady who owns it is always knitting something. She used to used a nifty knitter, but a friend of hers from out of town, taught her how to knit using needles, and she's hooked.

I used to tell my husband how much I wish I could go in there and knit with her. My sisters work during the day, and I don't really have any close friends who knit, and I just was thinking it would be fun. The problem is that I have self esteem issues, and I'm way too shy to ask her if it would be alright.

One time I was shopping in there, and my husband was with me. She and I got to talking about projects we were working on, and about different patterns we wanted to try, and my husband suggested that I come in sometimes and knit with her. She seem to really like that idea, and told me I'd be welcome anytime.

The problem is, and always has been, my shyness. I still haven't gone in there, because I'm afraid that after she gets to know me, she'll see how boring I really am, and wish I'd just leave. But ya'll are making it sound so fun, that I might just have to steady my nerves, bite the bullet, and just go in there. Oh, I long to be outgoing. I'm aftaid I miss out on so much.

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
jdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:06 PM   #7
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

Before the CT kicked in well and truly, I used to do most of my knitting on a Thursday night at my LYS.

I don't mind knitting either way.

With Lace, I prefer to knit alone, though.. :D

Version: 1.1
KCR++ Exp+ SPM+ *Options+++ Addi+ Wood+ Cas+ Cot++ Wool+++ Lux++ Hemp++ Nov+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent Lace++ Tex++ Felt+++ Flat Circ+++ DPN ML2 Swatch+ KIP Blog SNB GaugeDK(F) WIP+(++) ALTSw+Sp+Cr+X

------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------

On my Options:
Drake the Dreaded Dragon Backpack - girly version for my niece for Christmas

I'M IN !! I'm vintagegrrl on Ravelry
misstialouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:06 PM   #8
IrishKnitter
Instepping Out

I just learned to knit this summer from one of my co-workers, who is an amazing knitter. The rest of my co-workers and I who didn't know how to knit decided to ask her to teach us this summer. It worked out really well. We met about once a week at first when we were learning the BASICS. By the last few times, I was to the point where I could knit and talk at the same time. (Well, sorta!)

However, this month I've been knitting all on my own. There are some great LYS's around me that have open knitting time a few times a week, but I am sort of intimidated to go, since I am still a beginner!
IrishKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:16 PM   #9
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

There's a local knitting group that meets at the library every week for two hours. I'm interested but afraid they'll think of me as an idiot since I just started knitting and honestly my projects are quite simplistic. I may go and spy on them to see if they're nice and then try and sit in one of their get togethers. :thinking:
stitchwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:59 PM   #10
orcoastknitter
Turning the Heel

I knit almost every Saturday at my LYS. I love it! We have all ages and skill levels knitting together. It's a very upbeat group. Last weekend a few of us did some kool-aid dyeing in the back of the store. We had a blast. Many people never heard of kool-aid dyeing and came back to watch.

I am pretty reserved when I meet new people. Once I get to know them the sarcastic humor comes out. Never a dull moment.
orcoastknitter is offline   Reply With Quote