Old 08-18-2006, 10:20 PM   #11
jessi_9783
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to jessi_9783
I only knit stuff that I have memorized because I have my Bible and my patterns on my Palm. I don't like switching between my patterns, which are PDFs, and my Bible program. Also, if I had to follow a pattern I know I wouldn't pay attention at all. I can also knit without looking although I'm a bit slower when I don't look.
jessi_9783 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-18-2006, 10:32 PM   #12
EssenceRose
Knitting the Flap

Yep, I'd knit in church. It's something quiet that one can do to keep their hands busy and if anyone is like me, it only helps me concentrate more. After all, idle hands are the devil's tools....

On the hook! - Fan Bookmark Scarf , Friendship Doily, Fan Bookmark

Rantings of a Crazed Woman!

EssenceRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:41 PM   #13
mamabeth
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to mamabeth Send a message via MSN to mamabeth Send a message via Yahoo to mamabeth
I can't see me stitching during a service, but if I was waiting for the kids programs to finish or something like that, maybe....
mamabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:54 PM   #14
jessi_9783
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to jessi_9783
I've also never had anyone react negatively to my knitting. During the greeting people come up to me and ooh and ahh over whatever I'm making. Now that I knit I can pretty much recite the main parts of the sermon. Don't get me wrong, I don't knit during prayer or when we are reading from the bible. Also my church is a very interactive, more like school, church. My pastor gives individuals homework assignments to be presented the next Sunday. I guess that's why I'm so comfortable knitting there because we aren't the sit and be quiet kind of church.

I believe if you think God would think it's inappropriate for you to knit during the service, you shouldn't do it. But I think He doesn't mind me doing it.
jessi_9783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:40 PM   #15
kit-san
Casting On

I sometimes knit during church, but normally only during Sunday School. It's a small church and easy for my pastor to see me, though i don't think he'd care.
kit-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:02 AM   #16
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
if i was sitting and waiting for someone during the week or something like that i wouldn't have a problem doing it but never at a point when people might think i was knitting during a service. it isn't even the "what would they think" issue so much as the "it just doesn't sit right with me" issue.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:01 AM   #17
Julie
Instepping Out

It doesn't sit right with me either -- I can't really explain why, but everything within me says, "no way, I would never even consider it." Also....I'm like a broken record with my kids, trying to get them to not do things in church that distract other people. Even if I did come to a point where I thought it was appropriate for me (and I wasn't wrangling small children), I would never want to take the risk of distracting anyone else.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:11 AM   #18
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I would prolly while waiting for the services to begin but I'd have to put it up then.. I wouldn't feel right kniting during the services.. its like wearing pants I can't do that either.. I have to wear a skirt or I just feel wrong

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:53 AM   #19
koolbreeze
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to koolbreeze
i would if i could but i feel its direspectful. you can knit at home. you're there to hear the Word not knit. take notes or something.. though i know i am no saint... cause i just started going again.. and it is hard for me to payatterntion especially when i have this beautiful baby sitting in my lap! but sometimes i start thining of my knitting...

Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.
Stupidity is not a handicap. Park elsewhere!
They call it PMS because MadCow Disease was already taken.
koolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 12:45 PM   #20
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Lonnie plays and sings for church, so we get there early for the band's practice (they are very, very good, by the way!) and I knit then, but I do put it away for the service. I feel as if I would be disrespectful if I knit during the sermon. It's like I feel when I'm talking with someone, I don't knit when I am talking face to face with someone, I feel as though I should give them my attention...I feel the same way in church.

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote