Old 08-19-2006, 02:29 PM   #21
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
Originally Posted by Julie
It doesn't sit right with me either -- I can't really explain why, but everything within me says, "no way, I would never even consider it." Also....I'm like a broken record with my kids, trying to get them to not do things in church that distract other people. Even if I did come to a point where I thought it was appropriate for me (and I wasn't wrangling small children), I would never want to take the risk of distracting anyone else.
The distracting other people is a valid point, I can totally understand that. You certainly don't want to be distracting other people when they're trying to pay attention. I don't worry about being a distracting because I'm sure that nobody can tell what I'm doing, honestly, but if people CAN see what you're doing, then maybe you want to reconsider.

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-19-2006, 02:41 PM   #22
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
I'm the organist at my church, and I knit during the sermon every Sunday. No one has ever complained, and I'm sitting right behind the pastor, on the front row of the choir loft. There is a low wall in front of my seat, so no one can really see what I'm doing.

I've been a church organist for almost 30 years now, and I've heard lots of sermons. I have a good, strong relationship with the Lord.

I'm usually working on a charity project during the sermon, so it almost feels like the item is being "blessed". I sometimes pray for the person who will be receiving the item, so that makes it even more special.

:D
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:08 PM   #23
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

I don't think it's inconsiderate, at least you GO! Which is worse? Going to church and knitting while listening or not going at all?
stitchwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 04:06 PM   #24
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
I've always thought it was ridiculous for people to be judgmental of others. Usually when someone tells me I shouldn't be doing something, I know it's just their personal preference that I don't.

If it bothers someone to see me knitting, then they aren't paying attention to what's important anyway!

Matthew 7:3-5
"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 05:22 PM   #25
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

That's a good passage Sandy.

This is funny, well I mean good to read. For several months I have wanted to knit so badly in church. I go to church in New York city and also in my small village in upstate NY where my house is. In Manhattan the priests are so outrageous, fantastic I mean, smart and inspiring, you learn so much you don't want to look away for a minute. I love them.

But up here in the mountains they recently got a new priest (a bunch of people didn't like the other new one and booted him out)
and I swear, I need to knit so bad when he's doing his sermon.
He reads it and just drones on and on and is so impersonal. Actually, one sunday it was so beautiful out, the sun the air and I was knitting on the way to church and I couldn't bear to go in and hear him again, it can get depressing in its irritation. So my husband went in and I sat in the car with the windows down and the sun and the trees moving all around and I knit for 45 minutes and I truly felt closer to god than if I was inside.

Having said all that, I'm still feeling awkward to actually knit there. I would only knit during the sermon and I suppose it might look disrespectful but it would make it so much easier to listen to him and his sometimes phony empty stories.

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:23 AM   #26
Eloewien
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Eloewien
I'm one of the incredibly hyperactive types- always have been. I can't pay attention at all if my hands are busy. I would get nothing out of a sermon if I didn't keep busy. I can knit while I read, sing, or do anything else (a normal evening is knitting while reading AND watching TV) and it helps me to focus.

I'm also always knitting for others- mostly baby blankets and now sweaters. I'm putting my thoughts and prayers and love for the person into every stitch- and often the sermon helps me to remember why I'm sitting there putting so much time and effort into a project.

I grew up in a very conservative church, and they never approved of me doing anything during the sermon. Of course, this is the same church that practically disowned me when I was accepted into engineering school, since that is not "proper" for a woman to do. The only place a woman belonged (according to them) was the kitchen and the nursery. I couldn't even ask questions in Sunday School- it wasn't proper for a female to question a man's teaching. I think I crocheted at that point just to get back at them... it was a "proper" task, they just didn't like it during the sermon.

I figure God would not have given me the talent for making things if he didn't mean for it to be used for good. Every time I see the smile on the face of an expectant mother or someone receiving one of my sweaters- I know I've done the right thing. I made someone know that they are loved, and every time they see what has been made for them, they will be reminded.

Sorry for a long post I just love what I do, and I'll never stop just because I face a little disapproval from some of the more traditional church members.

-Laura
For mom: Celtic Knotwork sweater
For me: Rogue, shawl of my own design
For friends: Foliage hat, dragonscale wristwarmers
Eloewien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:35 PM   #27
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

That's lovely Laura, so well put. Thanks for the post!

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:51 PM   #28

I love reading all of your posts. :D I personally think it would be disrespectful to knit in church. I was also raised in a stricter environment and was taught to be quiet and listen to the sermon.

I couldn't even begin to imagine trying to knit during a sermon. From how I was raised, that thought just doesn't make any sense to me.

Now on the knitting side of my brain it makes all the sense in the world, but I personally wouldn't be able to hear all of the sermon because I consentrate to hard on what I'm doing. I'd make a big mess of my work if I attempted that, but if your minister says its fine then more power to ya!!
Old 08-20-2006, 11:09 PM   #29
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

I have an incredibly good pastor, so I don't have to worry about boredom. If I weren't so blessed, I still don't think I would knit in church. It seems like it would be very distracting to other worshipers, especially if you were knitting with metal needles!
psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote