Old 08-22-2006, 09:55 AM   #1
KnitObsesser
Ribbing the Cuff

How to Wash handknit creations
Hello,
I've created a baby blanket out of Bernat Baby Coordinates Yarn.
What's the best way to wash the blanket? I want to make sure it does not stretch or tear. Can I machine wash it? How about woolite?
KnitObsesser is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-22-2006, 10:13 AM   #2
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

What is the yarn made of? Acrylic? Wool? If it's acrylic, it's probably machine wash/dry. I just finished a little sweater in an acrylic baby yarn and washed it on gentle/handwash cycle with woolwash and then dried in on low. It turned out fine, but I thought is needed a little blocking to get everything to lie flat and look like new. A steam iron held over the sweater (not touching) and a towel on top of the sweater got it back into perfect shape.
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
KnitObsesser
Ribbing the Cuff

?
the content is as follows: 75.2% Acrylic - 22.2% Acetate - 2.6% Nylon.

When you dry it on low, does it always have to be blocked? What other detergents are best?
Old 08-22-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I'd us a baby detergent, wash on gentle, dry on low. I don't find I need to block my acrylic blend items.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:24 AM   #5
knitaddict
Turning the Heel

I made an afghan from that when I first started knitting and I could wash and dry it in the machines - on delicate.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:05 PM   #6
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

s I said, I only blocked the sweater to make sure everything was "flat" and in the right position. I was giving it as a gift and wanted it to look nice. I assume that it wouldn't be necessary for an afghan. And if the item had been for me, I might not have bothered with the blocking/steaming.
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:08 PM   #7
KnitObsesser
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you everyone for the advice!

I have one more question, when is it necessary to hand wash your handknit creations? Whichis better? Handwashing or machine washing?..oops, I guess those are a few last questions instead of just one..
Old 08-22-2006, 02:10 PM   #8
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
It's always been my understanding that acrylic stretches in the wash and you are supposed to dry it in the dryer to get it back to shape. I don't remember where I read this, though.

I always hand wash my wool and non-superwash fibers or else they'll shrink and felt.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #9
TrishL1975
1st Leg of the Journey

Bumping this because I am DETERMINED to get my first real wool project done right.

I had to frog my baby cardi back three inches this morning (painful!) but I'm knitting away, and might stay up late enough to swatch for the project in my queue. I've read Knitty's article on swatching, so I'm going to run with that. My question is how to wash the swatch, and later, how to wash the cardigan. I'm using Patons Classic Wool (with the Merino ball band) so I know I'm going to have to hand wash.

I went around looking for woolwash last night, and none of the big box stores had it. Am I going to have to go to a LYS? The closest one is a good 30 miles away. Or is there a substitute, like Woolite? Is it best to wash in cold water? Tepid? Add soap and swish around not too hard? I feel kinda dumb, because I've never owned a handwash item before, at least that I treated properly.

Basic Socks in Chili
Favorite Cardigan from Custom Knits in Patons Classic Wool in Black

FO: Baby Blanket in Antique White - no hood, moss green ribbon intertwined.
Fetching in Blue Dreamweave.
Hooded Cardi in Light Heather Gray.
TrishL1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #10
Marria
Working the Gusset

Woolite works just fine. I use tepid to warm water for 100% wool, depending on the color and if it's really dirty. Using warm water won't shrink the wool. It's the agitation and heat (as from a drier) that really causes felting. So if you want to use warm water, that's fine, just be gentle with your fabric.

I generally let mine soak from 15 to 30 minutes depending, again, on how dirty it is. Then I give it a few swishes and a thorough rinsing. I roll it up in a towel to get out the excess water (depending on how big the item is, I might have to repeat this several times). If I have a spot that's dirty and I can't get it out, I rub it gently with some woolite and try to get it out that way. (If you do that, you should test the colorfastness of your yarn first).

Then, I lay flat to dry.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marria For This Useful Post:
TrishL1975 (02-01-2009)