Old 08-22-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

Anybody care to help me interpret this?
Still working on Fetching from Knitty.

Quote:
Next Round: Using waste yarn, k7; slip these sts back to left needle and k them again using working yarn; work in 4x1 Rib as set to end.
Do I slip the stitches purl wise and what exactly do I DO with the waste yarn? I know the waste yarn is to hold the thumb stitches, but does this mean I get a piece of waste yarn, use THAT as my knitting yarn, slip the 7 stitches back to the left needle and then knit continue knitting as normal?
SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-22-2006, 09:23 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yep. Knit those 7 with the waste yarn, put them back on the left needle, let your waste yarn dangle, and reknit the 7 stitches with the regular yarn. The waste yarn acts like a stitchholder, usually for an armhole or something, and later you go back an pick up 7 stitches from *each* side of the waste yarn, so you'll have 14 stitches (or more if there's increases called for) to work on. If you read ahead in the pattern, you'll probably find those instructions, but you don't need to worry about it for now, just keep on knittin'....

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Whoops, I guess in this case, the 7 stitches will be the thumb probably, not an armhole...

sue
Old 08-23-2006, 12:35 AM   #4
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

Thanks, Sue!! I got that done and am now to the bind off. I have another question. It calls for a pico bind off. What's the difference between doing that and binding off in rib? Oh and when I get to the thumb do I pick up the stitches before I take the waste yarn out, or do I pull the yarn out, then pick up the stitches?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:25 AM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
Picot edging gives a bit of a fancier edge--kind of an up-and-down wave. You can do it either way.

It's safest to pick up all the stitches first--you could use a dpn for each side.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:18 AM   #6
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

Ok, last questions on this one. I promise.
Quote:
Thumb
Carefully remove waste yarn and place resulting live sts on two double-point needles; there will be 7 sts below the opening and 6 sts above. Attach yarn and k the 7 sts on lower needle; using a second needle, pick up and k 2 sts in space between upper and lower needle,
At this point should I have 3 needles in the work? And am I supposed to pick up a stitch, knit it, pick up a stitch and knit it, or do I need to pick up 2 stitches THEN knit them.

Quote:
k first 3 sts from upper needle; using a third needle, k remaining 3 sts from upper needle and pick up and k 2 sts in space between this needle and lower needle. 17 sts.
So do I knit the first three stitches with the needle that the two picked up stitches are on, then knit the remaining 3 with a new needle and pick up two with THAT needle? I'm not even sure how many needles I'm supposed to have at the end of this. Is it 3?
Old 08-23-2006, 11:26 AM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Originally Posted by SabrinaJL
Ok, last questions on this one. I promise.
Quote:
Thumb
Carefully remove waste yarn and place resulting live sts on two double-point needles; there will be 7 sts below the opening and 6 sts above. Attach yarn and k the 7 sts on lower needle; using a second needle, pick up and k 2 sts in space between upper and lower needle,
At this point should I have 3 needles in the work? And am I supposed to pick up a stitch, knit it, pick up a stitch and knit it, or do I need to pick up 2 stitches THEN knit them.
You can use the same needle (because of the following instructions). Pick up and knit just means to pick up the sts *like* you were knitting them, not pick up and reknit them or anything.

Quote:
k first 3 sts from upper needle; using a third needle, k remaining 3 sts from upper needle and pick up and k 2 sts in space between this needle and lower needle. 17 sts.
So do I knit the first three stitches with the needle that the two picked up stitches are on, then knit the remaining 3 with a new needle and pick up two with THAT needle? I'm not even sure how many needles I'm supposed to have at the end of this. Is it 3?[/quote]

With the same needle you picked up the 2 sts with, knit the 3 sts on the upper needle. Then use a 3rd needle (because it's going to be really tight to continue) to knit the other 3 sts and pick up 2 more stitches. You'll have 3 needles stuck in your work and one free to continue knitting with.

sue