Old 09-17-2006, 01:26 PM   #111
Friskums

I'm letting my test swatch dry right now. The purple is so puuuuuuuurdy.

I'll take a pic when it's done.

I decided not to send the yarn back, because after figuring out shipping costs, it just wouldn't be worth it really. I'd get like 2 bucks back.

Oh well.

I think I'll peruse Knitpick's WOTA and see what they've got instead. I do need other for christmas presents yet...

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-17-2006, 02:57 PM   #112
earthchick
Turning the Heel

Okay so I felted my test swatch this morning, and I'm a little disappointed. I have some Malabrigo in my stash that I really wanted to use for this purpose - it's azul profundo, a wonderful dark blue variegated (with some light blue and almost white in places). I bought some light grey Malabrigo (Polar Morn) for the cuffs and soles. I knit a small swatch last night, in garter stitch. I tried to felt it this morning - put it in a pillowcase (couldn't find my lingerie bag) in the washer with a little Woolmix on hot wash. After 30 minutes (checking every 5 after the first 10), I still wasn't completely happy with how it turned out. I even put it in the dryer to see if that would help. The wrong side felted quite nicely. But the right side I can still see the garter ridges.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it the yarn? (I haven't heard of anyone else having problems with Malabrigo felting) Is it b/c it's garter stitch and not stockinette that I can still see the stitches/ridges?

Thoughts? Tips? I really wanted to use this yarn but I hate the idea of using up this Malabrigo and then the things not turning out right....

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
earthchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:44 PM   #113
Friskums

I'm having a similiar issue with my first felting experience, except the garter edges felted fine, but the inner stockinette still has lines.
It was in the washer, agitating, for about 45 minutes and it still isn't "solid" like I wanted.

Mine is a no name wool I bought off ebay, so I don't know if it has anything to do with the Malabrigo.

Here's the pic:

You can kinda see the ridges. If I stretch it at all, then I can see through the fabric.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:13 PM   #114
earthchick
Turning the Heel

p.s. Dustina - your clog look FANTASTIC!

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
Old 09-17-2006, 05:24 PM   #115
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Thank you!!

I was going to use malabrigo on my pair but haven't done it yet or did a test swatch for it.. I know some have made Lucy bags and they are felted but prolly St St.. so I'm not sure...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:22 AM   #116
jmp3775
1st Leg of the Journey

Don't know about the Malabrigio, but on the other thread there was someone who had to keep her clogs in the washer for something like 3 hours! I don't remember what yarn it was, but it wasnt WoTA or Patons. Maybe it was the Malabrigio. Try taking a look there. It would be somewhere towards the beginning of the thread (first 30 pages?). I would look for you, but gotta get the 2 year old out the door! Hope that helps!

By the way, I made a pair of child clogs in Patons (on sale for 3.77 this week at Michaels) and it was done felting in less than 10 minutes. With the sale price, it is actually cheaper than WoTA, just less color selection.
jmp3775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:06 AM   #117
earthchick
Turning the Heel

Thanks, jmp. I have been steadily making my way through the old thread and I think you're talking about Julie. I can't remember the yarn either (it wasn't Malabrigo, though), but I think the problem may have been that it was cream-colored which often doesn't felt.

Anyway, I decided the Malabrigo was too yummy to felt and am now making scrunchable scarves with it. I've ordered some WOTA in a couple of the new colors (as if my stash isn't already bursting with WOTA in about 8 different colors....). Can't wait to start my cloggies!

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
Old 09-18-2006, 11:39 AM   #118
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Yeah. I just really think WOTA and Cascade 220 are the best felters that I have used. That is not to say that there aren't better, or others, it's just that I really like the way the two felt. Plus, you can buy Cascade 220 on Amazon, which I really like, because I get gift certificates alot. :-)
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:45 PM   #119
yarnfreak
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to yarnfreak
I swear, sometimes felting results totally depend on if you made a sacrifice to the yarn gods. It seems very random. Most of my felted things come out great, but I've had stuff take forever - using the same yarn, from the same ball!! It's crazy, I tell ya.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:31 PM   #120
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

On that point, I totally agree with you. Of course a sacrifice to the yarn gods is never a bad idea!
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote