Old 09-02-2006, 04:22 PM   #31
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Do the adult sizes knit in about a day? If I can do this in a week, I'd be elatedly happy! I bought the pattern today, and I'll be buying some yarn to go with them soon. So these really aren't so hard? I've been knitting about 2 years, but I'm a big chicken when it comes to trying new things...I've never done a fitted garment before (unless you consider a felted hat a "fitted garment"!) I also bought a darling sweater pattern today for my baby daughter...I don't know what overcame me in the LYS today that I suddenly got the urge to break out of my tubes/triangles/squares/rectangles!

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-02-2006, 04:37 PM   #32
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
Maybe if you knit all day long, you'd get a pair done--the first clog takes the longest, of course, but once you understand how it works, then the next one goes faster. You'd definitely get it done in less than a week.

The biggest trick is just keeping track of where you are in the pattern. You look at the length of some of the rows and want to faint, but they're all shortrows, and you go step-by-step in a logical sequence. The directions are very well written, I think.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:12 PM   #33
yarnfreak
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to yarnfreak
Trust me, if I can do this, you can do this. They knit up quickly, so no worries there. You do need to spend quiet time on the first clog, though. Just so you can let your mind set on the pattern. I'd suggest not really looking ahead in the pattern. You'll flip yourself out. If you just go with the pattern, you'll be fine. I promise.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:41 PM   #34
cookworm
Working the Gusset

I'm scared! They sound hard! These are so cute, I had to give them a chance. Ingrid, thanks for letting me know that it might not take me one day to do these...it makes me feel better to know that if I don't finish them in one day, I won't be a failure!

Although I have some "waste yarn" sitting in my stash that I've had for like 2 years and haven't done anything with, so I figure maybe I'll try to make one pair out of that wool as it's probably just going to go to waste anyway if I don't try to make something out of it. That way if I screw it up too badly it won't be like I paid $10 a skein for yarn, right?

Do I need to know how to knit socks to do these?

What are short rows?

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:11 PM   #35
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
You don't have to know how to knit socks to make these.

The short rows are where you knit part of the row, then turn back and knit back for part of the row. It allows for the curved shape. Now don't worry what short rows are or that you haven't done them. The directions are very clear on what 'wrap & turn' is and how to do it.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:27 PM   #36
yarnfreak
Knitting the Flap

I do think that this is one of those patterns where it's almost vital that you mark your place as you go along. I have a magnet board, but a post it will do the trick, too. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2006, 09:49 AM   #37
Pixywhispers
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Pixywhispers
Cookworm, Yeah go ahead and use your waste yarn. I'm not gona use my favorite on my first pair either.

It's my first time too. Take it slow.

I'll be starting as soon as my pattern comes.

There is a time to be born and a time to die. A time to laugh and a time to cry, but there never seems to be enough time to knit.-Anon. (or to visit KH!)

Come visit my blog.
Pixywhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:29 AM   #38
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
I started mine last year and did about one and a half, but I didnt finish sewing up the seam on one of them, nor have I felted them yet, so I plan on finishing them for this winter I think the knitting bug is biting me again, and I'm also beginning to realize why I stopped (it really hurts my middle knuckle after a while)

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:29 AM   #39
yarnfreak
Knitting the Flap

I never wear slippers, but I can't seem to take these things off. Felt those babies!!
Old 09-04-2006, 09:24 AM   #40
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I'm waiting on some WOTA and then I'm gonna start my kid's clogs I plan on making me a pair after theirs...

ETA: I was wondering I have some malabrigo.. that I can't figure out the perfect project for.. its been knitted and frogged so many times its not funny lol... When I first got it I didn't want to felt it but now I'm wondering how it would feel on my cold feet this winter... then I wonder if I want to take the chance of getting my malabrigo dirty this winter walking around in them... I can't find the perfect project...

anyways could I use Malabrigo for clogs? Would I have to double strand it? I'm not sure I have enough but I'm close... I know Webs says its a heavy worsted but that doesn't help me TIA for any info

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote