Old 01-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #511
SandraEllen
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by mugs
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE THESE TO DRY? ANY SUGGESTIONSON SPEEDING UP THE PROCESS?
I have a friend that told me that she stuffed newspaper in hers and they only took a day to dry. I was floored.

Finished '07:
scrunchable scarf,kitty pi, ribbed hat for a newborn, garter stitch rib socks, grandma's favorite washcloths (3), monkey socks, FT clogs, Saturday Market Bag, Pomatomus
SandraEllen is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-05-2007, 02:33 PM   #512
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to kitkat
Mine have taken about 24 hours to dry. I stuff them with newspapers or with old shopping bags (the plastic kind).

Unfortunately I have found that WOTA is the least wasteful of the yarns to use because Cascade and Patons both have 200+ yards - so if you go into an extra skein you can have alot left over.

http://knittykittyworld.blogspot.com/
Ravelry - I am Suegene
OTN : Dream in Color Smooshy Monkeys, Block a month afghan (on block 11)
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #513
jhelanee
Turning the Heel

I have done 3 pairs (in three different yarns) and mine all took about 24-48 hours to dry completely. Two things I do to help speed up the process:

1. I let the washer start into its spin cycle. After the clogs are felted to just about the right size in hot water, I reset my washing machine to start at the rinse cycle (to get the soap out) and then let it go into the spin portion. I don't let it go too long so I don't get creases that don't come out, but this really helps remove excess water to start with.

2. I have thrown the felted clogs in the dryer for a short time to "jump-start" the drying. I usually use medium heat for 15-20 min or so. Too hot or too long and they may shrink more and end up too small!

I actually have not stuffed mine with anything. I just pull them out, shape them by hand and let them sit on a wooden drying rack (so air circulates around the soles). All have been stiff enough post-felting that they held their shape without any stuffing.

Recently finished: DH's small-gauge sweater; Secret of the Stole ii - "Savannah"; BSJ (well the knitting anyway)
On Needles: socks; Odessa (from Magknits)

jhelanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #514
letah75
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by SandraEllen
For future reference, for a womens size, it takes 4 skeins of WOTA for the base color and 2 skeins of WOTA for the top.

I don't know about mens sizes...
Thanks. Well with 32 skeins, I think I'll have enought.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:30 PM   #515
spinnknit
Ribbing the Cuff

I LOVE THIS PLACE!!

I just finished my first pair of clogs (didn't bother to check gauge!) and, with the help of some nice folks here, got past some confusing directions and did the deed!

Now, here's the funny part. I used my handspun. Not just WOOL handspun either; but a wool/mohair combo. Care to guess how fuzzy?

But....... it worked. It worked. It worked!!!!

Still, I think I may use 100% wool the next time.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #516
knitknut
1st Leg of the Journey

Here is my latest pair. Coal and chocolate WOTA with pecan fun fur.

When drying mine, I usually set them on a baking rack placed on top of a bucket or bowl in front of a fan. They are usually dry overnight.

Someone mentioned they had a problem with the seam coming undone while felting. I had that happen to me on the first few that I did, too. Then I started leaving tail long enough to be able to do a loose running stitch through each cast on stitch. I haven't had the problem since. Hope that makes sense and you can see the pic ok since the only pair I currently have that isn't felted yet is black! I may make a lighter color over the weekend, if so I'll try to get a better pic on Monday.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	pam_sclogs.jpg
Views:	892
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	35055  Click image for larger version

Name:	seam.jpg
Views:	894
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	35056  
knitknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:43 PM   #517
Angelia

Oooh, those are gorgeous!!

I dry mine in front of fans--it takes about 12 hours for the clogs to dry completely, and that includes the extra time that results from the bags I use to block them--the insides are still damp. (I take the bags out about midway through and have the air from the fan blow right inside the clogs.)
Old 01-06-2007, 05:02 AM   #518
Marni
Knitting the Flap

Sooooo, using the shoe size guide for a man's 8.5-9 size shoe I should just follow the pattern for a women's size 8 which, according to the chart, is the equivilant of a men's size 10... which is close enough, eh? Yeah, I'm thinking out loud and looking for someone to agree with me. Whatcha' think?
Old 01-06-2007, 11:17 AM   #519
Angelia

Yep, Marni, that's what I did! They turned out just fine.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:56 PM   #520
Dilly
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by Marni
Sooooo, using the shoe size guide for a man's 8.5-9 size shoe I should just follow the pattern for a women's size 8 which, according to the chart, is the equivilant of a men's size 10... which is close enough, eh? Yeah, I'm thinking out loud and looking for someone to agree with me. Whatcha' think?
Actually, I think you've got it backwards. The chart is deceiving and you can't actually read it across. A woman's size 8 shoe only equals a foot length of 9 11/16".

A man's size 9 shoe equals a 10 5/16" foot. That same foot length for a female is a women's size 10 shoe, so you would need to use a women's size 10 size for the clogs.

I might be wrong, but I'm interpreting things backwards from what you read.

Dilly -- Queen Snow-Geek the Pickle, Defender of Pigs
Originally Posted by AnreeAce
I'm a very busy person. Would I take the time out of my schedule to make your life miserable if I didn't care?
Dilly is offline   Reply With Quote