Old 08-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
jdee
Working the Gusset

OT-Overwhelming Loss

I'm writing this with tears and a heavy heart. I just took a litter of 4.5 month old stray kittens in to be spayed and neutered and vaccinated yesterday. We just got a call from the clinic, telling us that one of the kittens' abdomen was full of fluid, and she was diagnosed with FIP. They went on to tell my husband that since the rest of the kittens had been exposed, it would be best to put them to sleep, so they wouldn't spread it throughout the neighboorhood cats, and our own pet cats. We told them not to do anything until we talked to our regular vet, so we called him, and after explaining the disease to us, and confirming that it did, indeed sound like FIP, we had no choice but to call them back and tell them to go ahead and euthanize the kittens.

Now, I'm left with a feeling of overwhelming guilt. He explained to us that there was no garantee that the others had the disease, unless they began to show symptoms, and by then, all of our cats could be at risk. He also said that fluid in the abdomen was the wet form, which is the most contageous, and fatal. My logical mind tells me that we made the right choice, in the interest of all our other cats, but the compassionate part of me, who has been working with them, and making sure they are wormed, and de-fleaed, fed, and happy, keeps haunting me. I mean, what if that was the only kitten that was sick, and we just put four healthy kittens to sleep? I just can't stand these thoughts, and for some reason, I can't keep them from coming. but we had to protect the others,,,right?

I just am so heart broken, I don't know if I'll ever feel better.

Please keep us in your prayers.

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
jdee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-23-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to kitkat
Oh I am so sorry. You did the right thing, you know in your heart, and weren't those little kitties lucky to have had your love and care while they did.

http://knittykittyworld.blogspot.com/
Ravelry - I am Suegene
OTN : Dream in Color Smooshy Monkeys, Block a month afghan (on block 11)
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
jodstr2
Instepping Out

:( :( :( I'm sorry. *hugs*

on needles:
Noro Striped Scarf
Lacy Ribbed Socks
Monkey 8

jodstr2
jodstr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:38 PM   #4
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by kitkat
Oh I am so sorry. You did the right thing, you know in your heart, and weren't those little kitties lucky to have had your love and care while they did.
I could've had said it better myself.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:39 PM   #5
orcoastknitter
Turning the Heel

I know exactly how you feel. I had a kitten that FIP as well. When I moved up here I had one of my cats run off into the wild. Never came back. I went to a local animal shelter and found a cute little tiger kitten with one gold toe. She was very small for her age. I took her to the vet and she wasn't in the greatest condition. I nursed her back to health. When she reached 6 months I took her in to get spayed. After about 2 months her stomach started swelling and her hair never grew back on her tummy. I took her in and found out that she had FIP. I was devastated. After learning about the disease I was concerned for my Mom's cat. We had her tested and she was negative. She was vaccinated for it, but found out later that doesn't really work. Maggie, my little tiger was put down exactly 9 months from the day I got her. My heart goes out to you. I know that what I did what was best for Maggie, and she will always remain in my heart. I know she is in a better place where she can run and play with no pain.
orcoastknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:08 PM   #6

I am so very sorry for your terrible loss, but you did do the right thing as hard as it was...remember you gave them all the love that they would ever need. I know it doesn't make you feel any better but you are a good mom. your other 'kids' tonight. That always makes me feel a little better.

My thoughts and prayers our with you and your family...
Old 08-23-2006, 06:18 PM   #7
Nikki
Knitting the Flap

Why isn't the right thing ever the easy thing? You did a great service to those animals, even though it tore your heart out. You saved them from a lot of misery. You're a good person.
Nikki
Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:26 PM   #8
mamabeth
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to mamabeth Send a message via MSN to mamabeth Send a message via Yahoo to mamabeth
What is FIP? I have a pregnant mama cat who is due any day now. Her other litter is about 4.5 months old now, and we're planning to take them to be spayed and vaccinated shortly (been saving).
mamabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:33 PM   #9
XbelovedXoneX
Turning the Heel

here's a link explaining FIP: http://newmanveterinary.com/fip.html

My heart goes out to you. You really did the right thing.

In the market for Custom Software Development? Have a Security matter that needs addressing? Please check out my husband's company: http://www.netsenseusa.com
XbelovedXoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:34 PM   #10
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Awww, I'm sorry. You did the right thing, as hard as it was to do. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day.
stitchwitch is offline   Reply With Quote