Old 08-23-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

OT Digital Camera help!
Hey guys...I'm in the process of getting a new digital camera...rather, trying to figure out which one I really want. I had wanted a dslr, but, truthfully, I no longer really have any use for and slr. So, I decided to upgrade my digital camera. I now have a Nikon Coolpix 4600, it is what it is...I want better.
So, I'm looking at the Canon A700, A620 and A540 thus far. I don't really want to spend more than $300, $350, I would be way happy to spend less. Anyway...do ya'll have any suggestions for a nice all around digital camera with zoom capabilites, maybe some manual controls to play around with and that doesn't take forever to recycle between flash photos?!
Since there are such wonderful knitters here who take cool photos of your knitting...I know that you all have this camera info, too!
TIA

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-23-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
wildforyarn
Turning the Heel

We really like our Sony Cybershot. Takes great pictures and it is nice and small to carry anywhere. It also has a pretty fast shutter speed, nice for when you are taking pictures of moving objects like my little ones! I can get the exact model number if you wish, but I would think you would be happy with any of them. We have purchased all of our electronic equipment in the past few years from Abe's of Main. Their site is: http://www.abesofmaine.com. They usually have really great prices and I would at least check them out before purchasing and compare their prices.

wildforyarn on Ravelry

wildforyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:16 PM   #3
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

I've had my little Canon for a few years now and I love it. It has a lot of flexibility and is pretty easy to use. It takes excellent pictures too.

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
Julie
Instepping Out

I love love love my Canon -- I've had it for 6 years and I have no plans to replace it. (If I did I'd replace it with another Canon!) Never had one problem, and I take LOTS of pictures. LOTS.

It does have that lag in the regular shooting mode, but I always shoot in the continuous shooting mode (you only have to push one button to change the setting, it's no biggie) so it's not an issue for me. With small children, it's best to take 95657768 pictures in a row, ensuring that you'll get 1 or 2 good ones!

Whatever you go with, just make sure you have optical zoom! Once in a while you'll find a good deal on a camera and wonder why...usually it's because they don't have optical zoom, only digital zoom, which is a nightmare. IMHO.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:43 PM   #5
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Thanks guys! Yes, I knew about the optical zoom deal, you are so right, they will hide that info in the small print for a sale, rather like they do fixed focus/focus free cameras.
I used to take oodles and oodles of slr pics, but those days are just long gone...LOL!
Okay, so ya'll say you like your Canon, which is great cause that's the one I'm leaning toward. So, which Canon series do you have?
I've also heard great things about the Cybershot...that's the other one that's in the running.
Why, Oh Why do they make so many different ones?! I have a hard time making up my mind with too many things from which to choose !!!! Then, after going to camera forums and talking to sales people it's kinda like this: :yadda: So, I finally came here to ask ya'll...the people I trust

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:20 PM   #6
knitwit
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to knitwit
Hey Rebecca- Before you make your purchase, be sure to visit
http://www.gotapex.com/ They have several deals/discounts available on digital cameras. If you put "digital cameras" in the search box it will pull up the page with all of the information.
Happy Camera Shopping!
knitwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:49 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
You probably already know that I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT which is a DSLR. This however is my 4th digital, the others were regular digital cameras. I use these sites listed below when reading reviews and comparing cameras. They all have excellent reviews, forums and lists of what they consider the best in various categories.

Imaging Resource
Steve's Digicams
Digital Photography Review

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:55 PM   #8
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

I have to put in a vote for Kodak cameras here! I love my kodak and my dad bought one that he really enjoys. They have great zoom, lots and lots of options and manual settings and they don't take to long between shots. I was able to get accessories (fliters and lense hood) for the camera with a little searching but they are great additions. My dad has the P850 and enjoys it. Mine is no longer available, but is very similar to the P850. They usually can be found for under $300. Never had any problems with mine.

Of course you can go with Cannon too!
sara_jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:18 PM   #9
Elza_B
1st Leg of the Journey

I inherit a cheap Kodak Easy Share from my nephew, which is not that great but I have a software that can fix just about any pictures and make them look like I have a Canon Rebel, the same one that Jan has. But if I can afford an upgrade, I will buy Sony Cybershot It's easy to operate, great great results and looks stylish, too. Of course I would buy a Canon Rebel if I can afford it. That's one bad boy there!

And... you should definitely check out the link that Jan recommends for a digital camera review before you make a decision.

BTW, I can post the link where you can download the free software if anybody wants it. It's very user-friendly! You can resize and do the whole nine yards with your pictures. No more dark backgrounds!
Elza_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:49 PM   #10
skNYC
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to skNYC Send a message via Yahoo to skNYC
It is all about what you expect in a digital camera and what you use it for. I have a Canon IS 2S because I love a good zooming besides quality. Some people like compact; some like very high resolutions. Since you already have budget in mind, you can go to http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digital-cameras/ and read up the reviews and see the pros and cons, by your price range. It might seem overwelming, but you should have a better idea after reading them. I usually spend quite sometime doing research when it comes to purchasing something expensive.
skNYC is offline   Reply With Quote