Old 08-29-2006, 01:37 PM   #1
Shawna_Gumdrop
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Shawna_Gumdrop
Single Loop Help
Hi, um first I'd like to say that I'm new here. I've been knitting for 5 years now and I'm 15 years old. I love to act in different productions, mostly plays, but musical theatre is just as good. I have another passion for choir because there is so much beyond just singing there has to be an imagination and determination to teach it. I have 6 domesticated birds and among them a cockatoo. I've started an on going knitting disease in the acting world in my school and I knit "Senior Scarves" which are special hand-knit scarves for the seniors involved in the drama program(s).

Well my problem. Though I keep trying and I'm doing everything right ever time I go to make the first row of loops it works! Then when I start on the next row the loops just come undone and if i keep doing it and pull of the work to test tightness it all just falls apart and because a mess pile of yarn. I've tried several times. Is there a clue to how to do this correctly? Thanks guys!
Shawna "Gumdrop"

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-29-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
What type of cast on do you do? Maybe a different one would help.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Welcome to the forum and Kudos to you for knitting for your friends and getting them hooked on knitting!
I find that when I knit something with the loop stitch I knit 2 rounds or rows of knitting between the loop sts, this will help stabilize the loops so that this pulling out of the loops won't happen...you will still have a nice loopy effect, as you can see here in the Loopy Socks.

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:20 PM   #4
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
So that's what she meant! I was thinking it was something else entirely! Go Becka!
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
Shawna_Gumdrop
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Shawna_Gumdrop
thanks i use this cast where i take the string and loop it on my thumb and then put it on my needle, but i was thinking of knitting a row or few to make it that way. Thanks im going to try that and if i still have trouble, which i doubt, ill post again. I was getting SOO impatient
Shawna "Gumdrop"
Old 08-29-2006, 02:25 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
The backward loop cast on is not the best for the start of a project. Try one of the others--you'll be so much happier. The long tail is, I think, most people's preferred method, but the others work, too.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote