Old 08-29-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
idahoknitter
Ribbing the Cuff

Will this look good using a larger needle?
I am about ready to knit the Ropes and Ladders scarf found here: http://pieknits.com/pattern2.html . I'm using the exact same yarn from the pattern but I would like a wider scarf. Do you think this pattern would look nice and be wider with a size 11 needle instead of a size 10? Will I need more yarn? I am usually a tight knitter, if that helps.

Thanks!
idahoknitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-29-2006, 08:25 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It might not make it much wider, possibly an inch. Try it on the larger needles for a couple inches, see what it measures. You could add more stitches, one on each end (2) for k3 instead of k2, and another 2 on the edges of the cabled panel for a total of 4 more. That and the larger needles might get you a couple inches. Play around with the pattern on scrap yarn, adding the extra stitches so you can take notes of what you should do with those in the cable panel.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
idahoknitter
Ribbing the Cuff

It worked!
Thanks, Sue!
I tried using a size 11 needle and added a stitch to both sides of the cable. It's rather curly (needs to be blocked) so I can't tell the exact width but it appears to be a tad over 6 inches wide. Just where I wanted it.

Thanks for giving me the confidence!!
idahoknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:56 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
And when you've been successful with this project, the next one will seem easier and before you know it, you're only using a pattern as a basic guide and not for step-by-step instructions. Yay!!

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #5
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
I'd just add five stitches or so on either side of the cable to make it wider. I don't think using a larger needle will do it the way you want to do it, unless you're using a wider yarn, as well. Otherwise, I'd just add the stitches, or another cable repeat or something.

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote