Old 08-29-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
Indygirl

Returning Yarn To Your LYS??
I'm just curious. What kind of response have you gotten when you had to take yarn back to your LYS?
A friend of mine had a not so good experience at our lys. She did get to exchange her yarn but, she was treated badly in the process. I have only had to return yarn one time, didn't have any problem. Just thought I'd see what other's have encountered in this situation. Also when she exchanged it she spent more on the new yarn and bought more yarn for another project.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-29-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
only tried it at one of my LYS and had no problem. but they know that they are going to get more money out of me when i show up so they might as well!
Old 08-29-2006, 07:21 PM   #3
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

At both places where I live, they say that you can return balls that still have their ball bands intact and they cannot smell of smoke. One place in particular when helping customers lets them know you can return unused yarn when encouraging a person to make sure they purchase enough of the dye lot for a project. I haven't had any issues, but I haven't hat to retun any yet But, they also are adamant that there are no returns on needles or patterns no matter what. they post this very clearly so there's really no disputes. They just caution people that say "I think I need this size but I'm not sure..." because even if you find you bought a dup pattern or needles, they can't be sure that you're not copying the pattern or using the needle and taking it back.. It's only fair really. I hate it that some places have to be so rude. I hear about that sometimes...some places sort of treat the new knitters that have come around with the recent surge the last few years as if they were second class citizens...and bad reviews from customers is not what they should be causing!!!

P.S. always a good idea to check this policy before you buy!!!! just to save the heartache of being treated badly...
Old 08-29-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
Indygirl

She has no animals, no smoke and she had not used any of the yarn. All was still in tact. We are taking a class and she decided to use a different yarn for part of the sweater. It calls for about 8 different kinds of yarn.

I know this has made an impression on me. We do have other lys to shop at.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:44 PM   #5
knitncook
Working the Gusset

I would check the return policy before purchasing. My mom used to work at a knit and cross stitch shop and their policy was "If it hasn't been balled, still has the original factory label on it *and* still have that yarn in stock we will take it back." They would take back yarn that was an overbuy if they bought it all in one lot regardless of whether they still had it in stock but would not take back special order overbuys.

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:45 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Bring yarn BACK???

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:52 PM   #7
AnreeAce
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by Ingrid
Bring yarn BACK???
OMG somebody get the smelling salts!

Ingrid, speak to me... did you hit your head? ... it's OK, she's not gonna take your yarn back!

I believe in a life of Virtuous Sloth, but it sounds so much better in Latin: otium cum dignitate, leisure with dignity.
AnreeAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:57 PM   #8
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Neither am I!!!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:39 PM   #9
snowbear
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to snowbear
ok.. breathe.. breathe.... now.. some... people take yarn back for numerous reasons. I was taught to remain opened minded of these people. My lys had a return area.. yarn no longer carried, single balls that were not needed etc.. These were marked way down.. (basicaly to their costs) Not much yarn ever stayed.. They knew they could sell it & keep their customers happy...But had a strict return policy on needles & patterns , but if they balled your yarn... you were stuck.. but they also had a trade & swap list also.. they really tried to be fair..
snowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:50 PM   #10
Indygirl

Originally Posted by Ingrid
Neither am I!!!
With all the stash you have why bother. I took mine back because I was allergic to it. That has only happened one time though.