Old 08-31-2006, 12:12 AM   #1
lesetoiles
Casting On

Shaping Neck and shoulder
I have finished the back and part of the front, but the following instructions are confusing me...

Shape Neck
Next row K10, turn. (OK with this bit)
Cont on these 10 sts (Do I knit a row here??)
Dec one st at neck edge in every foll alt row until 7 sts rem (Does this mean, decrease one stitch at the end which forms the neck, NOT the shoulder end, in every following alternate row until 7 stitch left?)
Work 1 row (OK with this bit)
Note: this side of neck is 6 rows less to accommondate shoulder opening

Shape Shoulder
Cast off 4 sts at beg of next row (Is this continuing straight after the 1 row I just knitted in the previous paragraph?)
Work 1 row cast off rem 3 sts (knit 1 row, then the NEXT row, cast off 3?)
Slip next 6 sts onto stitch holder and leave (I totally have no idea what this means...)
Join yarn to rem sts and knit to end (where am I getting the remaining stitches?)
Cont on last 10 sts
dec one st at neck edge in every foll alt row until 7 sts rem (Does this mean, decrease one stitch at the end which forms the neck, NOT the shoulder end, in every following alternate row until 7 stitch left?)
work 8 rows garter st stripes without shaping

Shape Shoulder
Cast off 4 sts at beg of next row (Id this straight after the 8th row without shaping?)
work 1 row, Cast off rem 3 sts (Ok with this bit)

Thank you kindly for your help
lesetoiles is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-31-2006, 04:11 AM   #2
Boogs
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Boogs
Re: Shaping Neck and shoulder
This first part is for one side of the front - you are working each side seperately.
Originally Posted by lesetoiles
Shape Neck
Next row K10, turn. (OK with this bit)
Cont on these 10 sts (Do I knit a row here??) No. This instruction just tells you that you are working on these ten stitches alone.
Dec one st at neck edge in every foll alt row until 7 sts rem (Does this mean, decrease one stitch at the end which forms the neck, NOT the shoulder end, in every following alternate row until 7 stitch left?) Yes - you are shaping the neck here.
Work 1 row (OK with this bit)
Note: this side of neck is 6 rows less to accommondate shoulder opening

Shape Shoulder
Cast off 4 sts at beg of next row (Is this continuing straight after the 1 row I just knitted in the previous paragraph?) Yes.
Work 1 row cast off rem 3 sts (knit 1 row, then the NEXT row, cast off 3?) That's how I'm reading it.
This is for the centre.
Quote:
Slip next 6 sts onto stitch holder and leave (I totally have no idea what this means...) These are the stitches that you stopped working on when you started the neck shaping. There should be 16 altogether but this instruction concerns the centre six stitches. It looks like you will be working on them at a later point so you should leave them 'live' by placing them on a stitch holder or a waste piece of yarn.
This is the other side of the neck.
Quote:
Join yarn to rem sts and knit to end (where am I getting the remaining stitches?) Again, these are the stitches that you were not working on, from the remaining 16 that were left when you were doing the neck shaping.
Cont on last 10 sts
dec one st at neck edge in every foll alt row until 7 sts rem (Does this mean, decrease one stitch at the end which forms the neck, NOT the shoulder end, in every following alternate row until 7 stitch left?) Yes. You are mirroring what you did with the other half of the front at this point.
work 8 rows garter st stripes without shaping

Shape Shoulder
Cast off 4 sts at beg of next row (Id this straight after the 8th row without shaping?) That is what the instructions say.
work 1 row, Cast off rem 3 sts (Ok with this bit)
I'm guessing that, from those instructions, you are starting off with 26 stitches - ten are worked on for each side, (of the front) and six denote the centre.

Hope that helps.

I am not obsessed, I'm just highly pre-occupied!

Boogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:27 AM   #3
lesetoiles
Casting On

thank you
AH!

Now it all makes sense...

Thank you so much for the prompt reply and assistance.
lesetoiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:17 AM   #4
Boogs
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Boogs
You're welcome!

Be sure to come back and show us the finished article.

I am not obsessed, I'm just highly pre-occupied!

Boogs is offline   Reply With Quote